Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2007, 02:15 PM
Rookie

Default Question on upgrading computer, saving the hard drive

Im planning to upgrade my computer soon (mobo, video card, cpu and that kind of stuff) but i decided to keep using the hard drive that i have now

my question is do i have to reinstall windows xp or not? If not then thats great but if i have to then im gonna have to play hide and seek with my windows xp disk -_-
Old July 31, 2007, 02:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It really depends on what chipset you are coming from and what is on your new motherboard. Sometimes it will work, other times it will not.

Best practice is to do a completely fresh install. That way you're sure that there aren't any old drivers still kicking about slowing down your system.

One thing for sure... if you upgrade both the cpu and the motherboard you are almost guaranteed to set off a new activation requirement from XP.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old July 31, 2007, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
It really depends on what chipset you are coming from and what is on your new motherboard. Sometimes it will work, other times it will not.

Best practice is to do a completely fresh install. That way you're sure that there aren't any old drivers still kicking about slowing down your system.

One thing for sure... if you upgrade both the cpu and the motherboard you are almost guaranteed to set off a new activation requirement from XP.
Personally I would do a fresh install, but if you want to give it a try download drivercleanerpro to uninstall your old drivers first, but with that amount of changes to your system I would just burn any pertinent info and start fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 31, 2007, 04:30 PM
Top Prospect

It's always best to do a fresh install, that way windows doesn't try to put in any random drivers and mess things up.
If you were going from say a p5b to a p5b deluxe, you would not need to re-install because all you are doing is adding some features, like wifi to what windows would think is the same thing. But changing from a 965 chipset to a 680i will require a full format and reload.

I would personally always do a fresh install, just because everything works nice and fast after one, so your new, faster parts appear to be even better

Old July 31, 2007, 04:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

new hard drive, slave the other and do fresh install.
Old July 31, 2007, 11:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard box with DSL View Post
It's always best to do a fresh install, that way windows doesn't try to put in any random drivers and mess things up.
If you were going from say a p5b to a p5b deluxe, you would not need to re-install because all you are doing is adding some features, like wifi to what windows would think is the same thing. But changing from a 965 chipset to a 680i will require a full format and reload.

I would personally always do a fresh install, just because everything works nice and fast after one, so your new, faster parts appear to be even better

Well looks like for sure im gonna have to do fresh install then -_-

now my problem now is finding my windows xp disk that came with my comp
Old August 1, 2007, 05:56 PM
MVP
F@H

I just upgraded my system tonight from and old compaq and the only thing I kept was the hard drive. I was able to boot into windows fine ...after a new over the phone activation. Now I don't know what drivers are floating around. I want to do a fresh install but the only cds I have are the recovery discs that I made myself when I first got the old compaq. Am I right in assuming that those recovery discs have all the drivers and everything preinstalled for the old hardware? I also could go to Vista...I have an upgrade copy of Home Premium lying around..but I don't want to do that just yet. Any suggestions?
Old August 2, 2007, 01:25 PM
Top Prospect

I swapped mobos between my two computers yesterday. I uninstalled all drivers and utilities related to video, and especially to the mobo and sound drivers. I reactivated one XP on the phone and was able to manage over the Internet for the other.

So far, so good. Then I installed a sound card in my most powerful system, and what an upgrade that is.

I have yet to test gaming.

They are both Via based mobos, however one is ASUS with AMD CPU, and the other is MSI with Intel CPU.
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 @1600 MHz
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit