Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2009, 09:22 PM
Rookie

Default Is my external HD fried?

I'm reposting this in troubleshooting since it makes more sense for it to be here.

I have a Seagate Free Agent Go 250GB. I purchased it three months ago.

I plugged it into my computer for the first time in three weeks (Last thing I did was delete the files I had on it) and it did not show up in My Computer as a HD. It was detected by Safely Remove Hardware and my seagate software (Seagate Manager) when I connect it, but I cannot open or explore within the drive. I took some screen shots because I'm not the best at explaining my technical issues.

http://i30.tinypic.com/27zklmf.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/20gjz6.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/73p1sw.jpg

Now I followed some troubleshooting suggestions from the Seagate website.
- I've attempted to format, delete and assign a letter to the partition/volume and got the same error message: http://i30.tinypic.com/2a7stft.jpg (I've tried restarting)
- I tried using multiple usb connectors
- I'm pretty sure it is not a power supply issue (I've tried USB ports on the back and front of my computer)
- I have not tried plugging my external HD into another computer yet, however I plan to try this soon.

Ask away if you need any more specifics in order to help me and I'll do what I can to explain.

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: MY HDD WORKS ON OTHER COMPUTERS BUT NOT ON MY DESKTOP

Last edited by automatic; July 20, 2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old July 18, 2009, 11:34 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If this is a 5v USB bus-powered HDD does it have a jack for auxilliary 5v power? If not, do you have a USB cable with two connectors on the computer end for extra juice?

When you connect it, try putting your ear to it to see if it makes a slight ticking noise which would indicate a failure spinning up the platters. This can sometimes be fixed by plugging the auxilliary power in before connecting the data cable.

Then again, if Windows Disk Management recognizes the partition and its capacity, it's probably spinning up just fine.

Have you tried removing the HDD from the enclosure and connecting it through normal SATA (or PATA) or is it a sealed unit? If it's sealed it might be time for an RMA.

Edit:

Has this HDD ever been used in RAID?

RAID controllers write array configuration information to the protected sector and when they are returned to non-RAID duty they should be reset to remove this data.

Last edited by JimboToronto; July 18, 2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old July 20, 2009, 11:24 PM
Rookie

Thanks for posting.

I'll answer your questions to the best of my ability to clear this up, but first I would like to note I have gotten this HDD to work on two different computers, so it appears my desktop is the only place it will not detect properly.

It does not have an auxiliary jack, it's a sealed unit, given the fact that it worked on two other systems I feel the problem lies within my computer and not the USB connector I'm using, but I could be wrong.

I'm not going to lie and pretend I know what exactly RAID Controllers are :) , but it appears I have them in my device manager. :)

http://i28.tinypic.com/vrcvth.jpg

Let me know what you think!
Old July 20, 2009, 11:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by automatic View Post
Thanks for posting.

I'll answer your questions to the best of my ability to clear this up, but first I would like to note I have gotten this HDD to work on two different computers, so it appears my desktop is the only place it will not detect properly.

It does not have an auxiliary jack, it's a sealed unit, given the fact that it worked on two other systems I feel the problem lies within my computer and not the USB connector I'm using, but I could be wrong.

I'm not going to lie and pretend I know what exactly RAID Controllers are :) , but it appears I have them in my device manager. :)

http://i28.tinypic.com/vrcvth.jpg

Let me know what you think!
In your first link I notice in your device manager you have a X on a device near the bottom.. what is that for?
Old July 21, 2009, 12:09 AM
Rookie

Wow, good eye sir...

For whatever reason that was the source of my problem, I guess that being disabled stopped my HDD from connecting.

I have no idea how it got disabled but if It happens again I'll know where to look. Lol.

Thanks a bunch.
Old July 21, 2009, 02:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

drive is un-formatted
Old July 21, 2009, 11:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If it still works fine in other systems and other USB devices work fine in the same ports, it's almost surely a power issue.

Not all MBs (especially books) supply sufficient power to the USB ports.

Many 2.5" enclosures come with a cable with an extra 5v power tap/passthrough. Maybe you can find one of these.