Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 24, 2007, 01:30 PM
Top Prospect

Seems like the heat from the second videocard was causing the mobo to overheat and crash. I need some ideas about what I can do to a) bring videocard temps down or b) increase cooling throughout the case.

Both the videocards have stock cooling as does my proc. 120mm intake and 2x 120mm exhaust. I'm not sure that I have room to install a PCI fan card seeing as I already have 2 videocards and a soundcard taking up space. Would a more powerful CPU cooler lower mobo temps at all?
Old July 24, 2007, 02:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default antec spot fan?

you might try the antec spot fan and aim at the gpus...they dont seem to need much to drop the temps once they have airflow. Since one of your cards is overheating more than the other--ie the one the MB southbridge you might be able to also put an antec card fan between the cards and move the soundcard to the bottom pci slot below the gpus. just a thought...anyway im sure these guys will have some good suggestions.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old July 24, 2007, 02:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I doubt the CPU cooler would do much. You could get something like the Arctic Freezer Pro 64 which supposedly blows air out the back although I could never feel any.

Is it possible to install a side case fan in your case? If not you could drill a hole to mount a 80 or 120mm fan blowing over the video cards.

There's also many alternative video card coolers too, so you may want to look into those.
Old July 24, 2007, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

can you take a picture of how the inside of your case looks? from the side so we can make some suggestions for you?

thanks.
Old July 25, 2007, 04:32 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

you say the videocards AREN'T the problem i'm telling you they are. Guarantee that if you take one of those cards out and run in non SLI your games will work.

Join our Folding@Home team!
Old July 25, 2007, 04:34 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

also those are eVga cards....they the overclocked/superclocked cards? If they are try "under"clocking them to roughly stock speeds bet that helps. Crashing in games is usually GPU heating issues.

Join our Folding@Home team!
Old July 25, 2007, 06:37 AM
Top Prospect

Lots of good hints above.

- It may be time for a new case. The Antec 900 is a case that provides plenty in the matter of airflow and cooling fans: NCIX: ANTEC 900. I have two Antec cases, and absolutely love how smartly they have been designed. They are precious.

- You can try running with your case open to see if it helps as far as airflow, before making a decision.

- You can "punch" a hole in the side pannel and add a funnel to the CPU, or add a fan on the side you opened. There are kits to add a clear side to your pannel, with or without a fan opening.
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 @1600 MHz
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit

Last edited by BMWDriver; July 25, 2007 at 06:40 AM.
Old July 25, 2007, 02:23 PM
Top Prospect

I did remove a videocard and haven't crashed again yet. But I don't think it is the videocards overheating, I think it is the videocards overheating the mobo. I am currently looking into punching a hole in the side of my case and adding a fan to blow over my videocards/soundcard.
Old July 25, 2007, 02:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Easiest way is to go to your big box hardware store (Home Depot, Rona), and go to the drill section. There you should find "hole saws" as I call them, may be the proper name too. You can get ones close to 80mm and 120mm. I believe they're a few mm larger. It's costly for the bit, but it makes life a lot easier as its just drilling a hole.
Old July 25, 2007, 03:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Easiest way is to go to your big box hardware store (Home Depot, Rona), and go to the drill section. There you should find "hole saws" as I call them, may be the proper name too. You can get ones close to 80mm and 120mm. I believe they're a few mm larger. It's costly for the bit, but it makes life a lot easier as its just drilling a hole.
Wheres the pics?