Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Going from Laptop to HDTV (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/19591-going-laptop-hdtv.html)

Arinoth July 5, 2009 01:32 PM

Going from Laptop to HDTV

Ok, so i have to get my brother's fiance's laptop to output both sound and video to their HDTV. The thing is, its an "amazing" dell laptop and only has VGA or svideo. My question is, which adapter would end up giving a better resolution on the hdtv

PC to TV Cable (S-Video + 3.5mm to Composite AV) 5 ft
DealExtreme: $2.50 PC to TV Cable (S-Video + 3.5mm to Composite AV) 5 ft

OR

VGA to Component Video TV-Out Cable
DealExtreme: $2.92 VGA to Component Video TV-Out Cable
PLUS

3.5mm Audio Jack (Male) to RCA Audio Converter (30cm)
DealExtreme: $1.60 3.5mm Audio Jack (Male) to RCA Audio Converter (30cm)

gingerbee July 5, 2009 02:02 PM

the tv does not have a vga in?

Arinoth July 5, 2009 02:03 PM

The TV does, but i dont know if it'll support sound, or how it would support sound when set to monitor mode (VGA connection)

grinder July 5, 2009 02:21 PM

the input audio port for the VGA in should be covered in the manual. Id reference it or look to the manufacturers web site if you cant find yours.

if you can't match sound with the VGA in plug the component cable will give you better image than the s-video cable "in theory"

the quality of the cable from dealtime does not look very good tho. the shielding looks paper thin which is a big deal for a component cable. This one looks a bit better.

For only $2.04 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6FT VGA to 3 RCA component video cable (HD15 - 3-RCA) | VGA to 3 RCA component cable

i'd try with the VGA to VGA cable first tho... way less headaches with setting resolutions and stuff. And if your laptop has an ATI chipset it will be ready to rock and roll simply by plugging it in :biggrin:

Arinoth July 5, 2009 02:31 PM

Just fired an e-mail off of to him, should know by the time i get back from soccer the model of both the laptop and tv and i'll look through the online manual to see if what, if any it supports audio when set to VGA, otherwise i am going to come back to my initial 2 possible set ups. Oh i know the VGA to VGA cable would be miles less headache, its more if his tv won't be a bitch and not support audio when in pc mode

sswilson July 5, 2009 02:47 PM

Not all VGA will output to component you'd have to check the laptop's specs.

Arinoth July 5, 2009 02:49 PM

All of this work just so he can watch entourage on his big screen from his laptop (he doesn't get the channel that it comes in, not offered) instead of coming over to our parents' house each week to just watch it and go

Arinoth July 5, 2009 06:47 PM

Found out the models and time for the research:
dell inspiron 6400
sony 4100S bravia

JD July 5, 2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 218182)
Not all VGA will output to component you'd have to check the laptop's specs.

Exactly. To be honest, I really don't know what cards support it.

Typically TV's with VGA ports have a standard 3.5mm jack as well so you just need a straight cable to hook it up or they use the dual RCA jacks. However one thing to note, you might not be able to run widescreen resolutions over VGA. I know on my Sony Bravia it'll only run 1400x1050 or something that's 4:3. Won't run anything widescreen.

S-Video/Composite is just horrid IMO. And as said above, I doubt VGA-to-Component will work.

Arinoth July 5, 2009 07:28 PM

If my brother gave me the right model it looks like it should be a straight vga to vga and 3.5mm to 3.5mm but i have to see tomorrow if this is indeed true. I told him he wont get 1080p, he's just happy he'll be able to watch things bigger then on a 15" laptop screen