Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2009, 09:33 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Trouble uninstalling Wireless Network card

Recently my fathers Wireless internet connection has been acting up. IT seems to have started after staying @ a motel and using the local connection (coincidence?).

The laptop will connect to the home network but it says "the internet cannot be found" (or something to that extent. I tried uninstalling the PCMCIA wireless network adapter. When trying to uninstall the device from device manager I receive an error message
"The device could not be uninstalled. The device may be required to boot up the computer". I receive this message in safe mode also. How can I uninstall this device?

Any thoughts as to why the issue has occurred and how to fix it? (or fix it should it occur once more)
Old July 3, 2009, 11:00 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm some more information. The computer is running Windows XP, unsure off the top of my head if its pro or home.

Its an HP Laptop. Model = hp compaq nc8000. It does not have built in wifi (I checked the serial# on HP's site).
Old July 4, 2009, 06:31 PM
Rookie

hmm, I don't think it's a problem with the adapter iself, my laptop has that problem fairly often, though several different things can be the cause.

if you have security on your home modem, re-set up your computer to match the security correctly.

IP could be off, try setting a static IP, if you have a static IP, try removeing it and let windows decide for you :p

try removing all the security stuff off your router and see if it will connect then.

^ those have been the main issues in my case (with my brothers desktop, and my own laptop) give those a shot and see if anything happens.

cheers!

Nick_Black
Old July 6, 2009, 08:20 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Update. MY father has 2 laptops. His "OTHER" laptop has no connection problems.

I tried disabling the wireless security. The "Problem" Laptop then connected properly. I re-enstated the wireless security with new passcodes, and the same issue occured.
Old July 7, 2009, 02:21 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

My router has 4 network keys in the wireless security. I changed to the first one on the list and the problem was solved.

Thank-you Nick for pointing me in the right direction. :)