Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30, 2009, 07:42 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default I think my 8800GT is failing!

When booting up, the Gigabyte splash screen shows vertical lines across the white and when I see the progress bar on black background (when booting into Windows Vista), I see blue vertical lines all over the screen.

While I can make it into Windows, it'll blue screen after a while (nVidia driver).

I switched video cards for a HD3450 and everything works fine (except games that is... a 3450 is NOT made for gaming!) and put the 8800GT into another computer with same results.

I had changed the original BFG cooler for an Accelero S1 Rev 2 cooler (awesome cooler by the way ). Any chance I can still RMA to BFG?
Old June 30, 2009, 07:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you lie to them and say you didn't mod or OC it, meaning i think you're warranty is poof with them (at least that is my understanding of BFG's). Unfortunately for you i think its only EVGA that'll let you RMA if you've modded or OC'ed it as long as you return it to the stock heatsink
Old June 30, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds to me like you have a memory problem, likely one of the chips is dying.

I don't forsee any problems, provided its sent back in original condition BFG shouldn't give you any issues.

Regards,

EE
Old June 30, 2009, 08:01 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I still have the original cooler but should I let them know that it was modded?
Old June 30, 2009, 08:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Straight from BFG's website
BFG Tech - Warranty
This warranty is VOID if the product:
  • Has evidence of the serial number sticker being altered, removed, replaced, or defaced.
  • Was damaged while being installed.
  • Was damaged by software or hardware from a company or individual other than BFG Technologies or by motherboard incompatibility.
  • Was not operated in accordance with BFG Technologies specifications, instructions and any technical support directions.
  • Was modified or damaged by overclocking, tampering, user error, accident, disaster, abuse, misuse, power supply, power application, alteration, repair, modification, a fix or replacement by someone other than BFG Technologies.
I'm not sure if after market heat sink installation falls under any of these categories but i could have sworn one of the guys on the forum posted that BFG is useless for warranty if you OC or after market heat sink install
Old June 30, 2009, 08:40 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I've contacted their tech support to RMA. I'll keep posting about it as soon as I hear from them. Looking at results in the RMA thread, it seems that BFG is ranking pretty high.
Old June 30, 2009, 08:59 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Don't state that you changed the HSF. They won't ask. Re-install the original.

You'll be fine. I know I've RMA'ed a few cards with them.
Old June 30, 2009, 09:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
If you lie to them and say you didn't mod or OC it, meaning i think you're warranty is poof with them (at least that is my understanding of BFG's). Unfortunately for you i think its only EVGA that'll let you RMA if you've modded or OC'ed it as long as you return it to the stock heatsink
Don't worry - BFG engineers are able to determine if the failure was caused by OCing, they probably store logs too who knows :)

Sounds like a bad card or probably the RAM on your card gone bad! Don't mention ANYTHING about moddinf or OCing, let them figure it out - and if they figure out you can always say the devil made you do it !
Old July 1, 2009, 06:39 AM
MVP
F@H

Arinoth's last point, "Was modified or damaged by overclocking, tampering, user error, accident, disaster, abuse, misuse, power supply, power application, alteration, repair, modification, a fix or replacement by someone other than BFG Technologies." states that aftermarket HSF will void the warranty, but I've had the same experience as Charlie so you should be good. GL :)

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old July 2, 2009, 08:20 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Just talked to BFG tech and they've issued me an RMA number. I'll package it up tonight and send it ASAP.