Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2009, 08:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default shutting off and turning on problem

This isn't really a problem involing my computer, but a friend of mine. When he boots up his computer he gets his basic post screen and then it says the last start up was blah blah blah, do you want to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking , safe mode with command prompt, start with last known good blah blah.. you know with that counter. Problem is when you pick any of these options it just instantly shuts off and does the same thing. I checked his bios, everything good, he doesn't OC, power supply is good, mother board is good, and everything else look fine physically. A clue to what might be wrong, this problem occured after the power in his house suddenly shut off, you think that could of done anything and not show anything physical? Thanks in advance.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old June 29, 2009, 08:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It could be his CPU is overheating and shutting off. Have you looked in the bios to see what the temperature gets to? Has the case been moved around at all or the heat sink played with, could not be seated properly, or the heat sink could be covered in dust and be partially useless as well.

However, upon seeing that you said it occured after a power surge, if it wasn't hooked up to a surge protector the PSU could have gotten nailed, meaning a couple of caps could be gone but not all of them (enough to boot). Same could be the case with the mobo, could have a couple blown caps, so check again for blown, oozing or any other kind of dead/dying caps
Old June 29, 2009, 08:17 PM
Top Prospect

Have you check the hard disk? Sudden powersurges can corrupt data.
Old June 30, 2009, 04:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

+1 core

try booting from OS disk an run repair, yes its best to use a smart-UPS when power problems are happening. I've lost many HDD to brownouts.
Old June 30, 2009, 07:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
I've lost many HDD to brownouts.
+ 1
Thank you government of ontario on that one
Old June 30, 2009, 09:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
+ 1
Thank you government of ontario on that one
Yeah, I hear ya.

Old June 30, 2009, 09:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

On the screen that chooses safe mode, last known good, etc, you should have an option to disable the automatic restart on errors (something like that). If you do that then chances are you will end up at a blue screen with a stop code instead of just restarting. This way you will have something to go on for troubleshooting.

That option to disable the auto restart is only on XP sp2 and higher, I believe.

Old June 30, 2009, 09:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you sure the PSU is good? Tested in another system?
Old June 30, 2009, 09:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

+1 for HDD is corrupt. Maybe time to clean install.

Old June 30, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

I think its blown caps on the PSU and MOBO. A failed HDD wouldn't cause the whole system to resart, it would just show a drive read error and ask for you to insert a bootable device (and then press ALT+CTRL+DEL to restart).

If you have an extra PSU or MOBO, I suggest testing it out to see what the problem is.