Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   What is happening!!! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/19368-what-happening.html)

andynerd June 28, 2009 01:46 AM

What is happening!!!
 
Ok when my computer doesn't turn on I have to turn the psu off take it out and rub it down with my hand with the other touching the case. This seems to make the motherboard work WHY!? I am thinking static or cap not unloading charge.

Chilly June 28, 2009 02:12 AM

... Huh...


Wait... What?

How'd you come up with this workaround in the first place? :haha:

I'm not sure anyone here and tell you whats wrong, or why rubbing the PSU with one hand while keeping the other on the case seems to get it running again. Perhaps your computers a little sexually deprived?

See if you can borrow a friends PSU to see if that's the issue, other than that... I'm kinda, well, speechless.

andynerd June 28, 2009 03:49 AM

did i say psu i mean motherboard and i don't know i was trying to get rid of any static charge and it just worked :P. Or maybe it is taking the motherboard out of the case in the first place.

KaptCrunch June 28, 2009 04:40 AM

more likly it was a short or MB flexing from bent mounting I've seen in the past with some bulids would work fine outside of case then in case no go.

gingerbee June 28, 2009 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaptCrunch (Post 215074)
more likly it was a short or MB flexing from bent mounting I've seen in the past with some bulids would work fine outside of case then in case no go.

second that:thumb:

andynerd June 30, 2009 07:40 AM

but the thing is it works after I put it back in the case I haven't turned it on without being screwed into the case so I doubt it is MB flexing

Arinoth June 30, 2009 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilly (Post 215067)
... Huh...

Wait... What?

How'd you come up with this workaround in the first place? :haha:

I'm not sure anyone here and tell you whats wrong, or why rubbing the PSU with one hand while keeping the other on the case seems to get it running again. Perhaps your computers a little sexually deprived?

See if you can borrow a friends PSU to see if that's the issue, other than that... I'm kinda, well, speechless.

Well i was laughing the moment I started to read your response Chilly.

But on a serious note, didn't the op say he had problems in the past when it was poor weather outside (raining/thunder storms) and the culprit was high humidity within the house (and a sensitive rig). It could be this occurring again if it only happens when there is high humidity (again i recommend getting a dehumidifier for the house).

If its not, then well, uh... red light district?

andynerd June 30, 2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 215931)
Well i was laughing the moment I started to read your response Chilly.

But on a serious note, didn't the op say he had problems in the past when it was poor weather outside (raining/thunder storms) and the culprit was high humidity within the house (and a sensitive rig). It could be this occurring again if it only happens when there is high humidity (again i recommend getting a dehumidifier for the house).

If its not, then well, uh... red light district?

For starters I think the problem is static because in the winter and summer the furnace and AC has a dehumidifier and this problem has been happening on every kind of day for the past week so I think it is static from the air being too dry.

and what do you mean by red light district? (sorry for being a noob)

Arinoth June 30, 2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andynerd (Post 215951)
For starters I think the problem is static because in the winter and summer the furnace and AC has a dehumidifier and this problem has been happening on every kind of day for the past week so I think it is static from the air being too dry.

and what do you mean by red light district? (sorry for being a noob)

In the winter time i could potentially believe it being static from the air being dry, but in the summer, living in ontario, there is no way the air can be dry enough to cause static.

If you don't know then we'll leave it at that, i was continuing on with chilly's joke

Cowboy June 30, 2009 09:08 AM

Maybe your case is shorting your motherboard somewhere? Make sure to properly seat everything when you put it back in.

I doubt its humidity or the static in the air. That's a load of crap IMO. My comp is currently case-less and sitting on my desk and running just fine 24/7. Its humid as hell outside and the AC is broken.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:54 AM.