Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26, 2009, 11:11 AM
Rookie

Default 2-pin Y cable? anyone know where to get them?

So i have the CM storm scout case. The case has a button on the front to turn off the LEDs in the case fans. I want to connect my LED light strips so they turn on/off with that button as well.

The LEDs in the fans are connected to the switch with a 2 pin cable. my leds are 4-pin molex.

What i need is a 2-pin splitter. I need to be able to plug the Y cable into the wire leading to the switch, and at the other end of the Y cable I need another 2pin connected to plug the fan LED into, and a 4-pin molex to plug the LED into.

I cant find these anywhere. i tried newegg, frozencpu, microcenter...

anyone know where i can get these?
Old June 26, 2009, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am trying follow you here,the switch only has 2 wires, right? Your led's while using a molex plug I bet are only powering your led's with 2 wires right?

Splice the leds into your switch. Or am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old June 26, 2009, 01:30 PM
Rookie

yeah its just 2 wires powering the LED strip.

i thought about splicing the wires at first, but in the end decided not to do that...

if i can find a Y cable with two 2-pin connectors (1 male, 1 female), and a 4pin molex im happy
Old June 26, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I doubt you will find such a splitter cable. You are venturing into custom lighting here. I have never heard of one. (maybe someone else has) I agree with Supergrover that you should simply splice the led strips into the switch wires.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old June 26, 2009, 05:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccaulley View Post
yeah its just 2 wires powering the LED strip.

i thought about splicing the wires at first, but in the end decided not to do that...

if i can find a Y cable with two 2-pin connectors (1 male, 1 female), and a 4pin molex im happy
Make your own then if you really want, I know PerPC has the wire and the end pins, plus the plugs to do this easy. Nose around in the DIY section there and you'll see all you need to make a "Y" cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old June 26, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Make your own, also check out coolerguys.com I've used them for several things, they have awesome shipping to Canada and are really cheap. They sleve a lot of things too :)
Old June 27, 2009, 01:05 AM
Rookie

Run off one cable that acts as a switch; You will have 3 and no noise on the wires.