Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2007, 07:37 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default No beeps, no video :(

my computer decided to crash, I thought that it was restarting on its own. Turns out it will not boot. I have no BEEPS and no video. I checked all my cables and they were fine.

I removed ALL my cards (including video since I have onboard as an option), and no change. I removed one or two ram sticks, then swapped for the other, and then removed both - no change

I disconnected my DVD drive and Hard drive, no change.

just a power suply, cpu, cpu fan and mobo - no beeps, no video. there is a faint clicking sound (not unlike a broken hdd but quiter).

Is this my CPU? my MoBo? or???

Go Figure that my memory or hdd were not the items to fail (I was planning on replacing them next).

Thanks in advance for the help.

:help:
Old July 16, 2007, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have an extra power supply to check to see if that is the problem. That seems to be the most likely problem to me.
Old July 16, 2007, 09:44 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

I would have guessed power supply as well but I have a feeling it's the motherboard from looking at your specs.

Not because ECS is bad but it has better odds of failing than the other parts. Check the PSU first as it's easiest then the MB.

Good luck.
Old July 18, 2007, 08:11 AM
Top Prospect

Look for the reset jumper, and reset the CMOS. That helps. The click you hear is that it is still alive, but something is amiss and so it stops right off the bat to avoid problems. It happened to me.

Make sure absolutely everything is turned off: the power switch (actually better to unplug) and the monitor, anything else that is self powered and connected to the computer (USB devices/hub, LAN cable).
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 @1600 MHz
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit
Old July 18, 2007, 09:50 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post
Look for the reset jumper, and reset the CMOS. That helps. The click you hear is that it is still alive, but something is amiss and so it stops right off the bat to avoid problems. It happened to me.

Make sure absolutely everything is turned off: the power switch (actually better to unplug) and the monitor, anything else that is self powered and connected to the computer (USB devices/hub, LAN cable).

It seems that it was a cmos problem.

I had already removed the cmos battery and popped it back in (old habbit, last mobo didnt have a clear cmos jumper), but the comp did not boot back up till I put a stick of ram in.

Is there a differance between poping out the battery and using the jumper?

Thanks for the help guys, Im glad I don't have to send anything away for warrenty :)
Old July 18, 2007, 09:51 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I tried my old PSU first but it did not change anything.

ALSO at that point I notticed my CPU fan ran quite slow (500 rpm??? guess) for a few seconds and then it kicked up to full.

any idea why?
Old July 19, 2007, 08:16 AM
Top Prospect

The battery keeps the memory of the CMOS alive. I guess the jumper makes it easier than pulling out the batt. It also keeps time and date.

Every CMOS/BIOS is different from mobo to mobo. One of mine does not do anything until there is a hard drive hooked up, except make the fans go. Another gave error messages in that same situation.

The 500 rpms will have to go into the mystery section. That's the thing with electronics sometimes. For example, I had to reset my mobo, without having changed anything to it.

Then again, some mobos do control the speed of the CPU fan in order to reduce noise. When I power up mine, it goes full throttle and then goes back down. Then again, maybe there was some dust clinging to it? Is it old ? Stock or cheap ?

The list can go on.

Glad to see your out of trouble !
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 @1600 MHz
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit