Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   When I hit the power switch the computer doesn't respond! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/19274-when-i-hit-power-switch-computer-doesnt-respond.html)

andynerd June 25, 2009 06:03 AM

When I hit the power switch the computer doesn't respond!

When I hit the power switch to my computer the computer doesn't respond but inside the motherboard light is on and the pci Ethernet card light is on. I am in the midst of resetting the cmos. What could be the problem it worked fine yesturday when i put it in standby.

andynerd June 25, 2009 06:09 AM

Could it be the power switch? The psu works it powered the fans when i gave gave it a jump start.

Cheator June 25, 2009 07:28 AM

it coujld be grounded inproperly. take it out of the case and try it.

Soultribunal June 25, 2009 07:35 AM

Is this on a new build?
Is the Power Switch Connector the proper way on the Motherboard?

ST

andynerd June 25, 2009 07:46 AM

no this computer was given to me it has been working for the past few months so it is in the right pin for the power switch.

Soultribunal June 25, 2009 07:58 AM

Hmmmm maybe bad solder on the switch or pot. I'd see if you can remove the switch and have a look at it.

ST

andynerd June 25, 2009 08:07 AM

ok then also is it a possibility that the ram might be fried since it was in standby but inthe morning the standby light wasn't flashing. When I put it in standby world of warcraft was on so could that have damaged the ram?

Soultribunal June 25, 2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andynerd (Post 213781)
ok then also is it a possibility that the ram might be fried since it was in standby but inthe morning the standby light wasn't flashing. When I put it in standby world of warcraft was on so could that have damaged the ram?

Hmmmmmm I don't honestly know but going into standby I doubt would damage anything.
So, let me just understand Sequance of Events.

- WoW Is Running
- You Put Computer into Standby
- Morning Comes and its not in Standby or even on?
- Power Switch No longer works?

Look at your mother board for any Bulging Cap's too just on the off chance.

ST

andynerd June 25, 2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 213792)
Hmmmmmm I don't honestly know but going into standby I doubt would damage anything.

- WoW Is Running

ST

you have it perfectly right. but i haven't found any unusual looking capacitors. Could it be a static buildup somewhere or a dust short? I do have 2 cats.

Arinoth June 25, 2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 213792)

- WoW Is Running

ST

Have you looked for any Bulging Caps on/in your PSU, something could have happend in there. I had my last PSU die where it showed power to the mobo and NIC but would not turn on and there was a nice row of blow caps i could see in the back through the fan.

Also, thats what happens with WoW, its a hardware homewrecker! (making a joke, no one take the statement seriously)