Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2009, 04:57 PM
Rookie

Default IDE Drive not being detected

Ok I took out my external hard drive out of its encloser, it's an IDE and I have SATA as bootable, and my Bios is trying to boot from the IDE it detected the 160GB drive. I changed the BIOS settings. Specifically, I went into advanced changes the "Controller Mode" Disable. Was this correct? B/C windows now boots fine.

But when I go to management setting and try to rescan disk, the IDE drive does not appear.

Also I forgot to note, when I first put in the drive and was able to access windows. There was a prompt about updating the drive, but it talked about instability. I tried to get it back but to no avail. The IDE drive doesn't seem to be appearing in the BIOS. How are you supposed to manual update your hard drive config?
Old June 13, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hi, first of all what motherboard?

have you set your sata configuration to compatible/enhance IDE?

for now go to the boot order, and deselect the IDE drive and put the OS drive as boot drive.

Hope it helps
Old June 13, 2009, 05:16 PM
Rookie

ASUS P5K. How do you set sata configuration to compatible/enhance IDE?

The boot order is fine now, it coming off the SATA 500GB I had. The IDE one is just extra storage. It's not being detected in the BIOS.
Old June 13, 2009, 05:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Was it working fine before you took it out of the enclosure? If so its probobly nothing wrong with the drive.
Is the bios pausing during post - before it goes into the setup menu, when you have the drive detected. If so that means the bios is seeing the drive but having trouble communicationg with it - indicating failure. It will give up after a short while and continue, but it wont be listed in the bios.
If your now sure its not the drive, and you cant get the right setting in the bios to pick it up - i would reset the bios. The defaults should allow it to detect any drive.
Old June 13, 2009, 06:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So i am guessing the IDE is not showing up on the bios ?

have you check the pins on the back of the IDE? not sure if it will help, but on my IDE 250gb i have it set as slave.

On the main bios manual, you should see sata configuration. select it and enter. you should have only 2 choices ( enhance IDE or ACHI) and enhance IDE should be select as default.

and a few more questions, what kinda OS and what model IDE drive and Sata OS drive?
Old June 13, 2009, 07:01 PM
Rookie

Currently the IDE is connected with the IDE cable and power cable, I just took it right out of the enclosure. Didn't alter the Master?slave settings as there were no jumpers. Using WinXP, Acomdata 160GB, and Western Digital 500GB.

The drive wasn't loading before I took it out of the encloser, so it may be faulty. But it was detected when IDE was prioritized to boot from.
Old June 13, 2009, 07:06 PM
Rookie

Should IDE drives be like SATA drives where you just plug and play. Or is the exact cabling(master/slave) need to be set to be recognized.
Old June 13, 2009, 08:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

So is the bios pausing?
There should be a jumper diagram on the drive label, or youll have to look it up. If theres only 1 device attached on the ide cable, set it to master, or cable select
Old June 13, 2009, 08:35 PM
Rookie

Yes its the only device connected through a IDE cable in my rig. I think I have it connected through the slave part of the IDE cable. I'll switch it.
Old June 13, 2009, 08:47 PM
Rookie

I connected the cable through the Master, but still not finding it. I'm starting to feel like the external HDD really is broken