Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2009, 03:11 PM
MVP
F@H

Default Comp crashing when phone rings?

Hey all,

Been awhile since i been on this forum.. Went away from the whole computer scene for awhile, but I have a new problem that i hope one of you guru's can help me out with...

I have an iPhone, and have rogers reception.
My rig is as follows:
750i FTW
260core 216
q6700
2x mushkin redlines (4gb)
1x 36gb raptor
1x 640gb WD
2x DVD drives
corsair 620hx

I've googled my problem for endless hours to no avail :S..
and here it is! Ever so often, maybe 1/5 chance, when my phone rings my computer will compmletely lock up.

This means: frozen screen, stuttering audio, and NO, NO! bsod.
I cannot figure out whats wrong. The IO shield is painted, but i called eVGA and they said that the paint would most likely help the blockage of radiofrequencies.

Anyone have any ideas? He said that a big possibility was that my case, Silverstone TJ-07, is amplifying the radiofrequency and possibly crashing my computer? Is that possible? :S

Thanks in advance.
Old June 13, 2009, 03:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Crazy, any electromagnetic experts around? This may have no effect, but I would try adjusting the spread spectrum settings in the bios.
Old June 13, 2009, 03:19 PM
MVP
F@H

crazy indeed. what would the spread spectrum have anything to do with it? sorry im a compete nub at physics. :P
Old June 13, 2009, 04:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

It may not have much to do with it, it was just the first thing that sprang to mind, seeing as how it helps eliminate electromagnetic interferance. Though i believe that is interferance generated by the computer.
Old June 13, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

maybe its a coincidence that it happens as phone rings..
did you test your ram?

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old June 13, 2009, 04:28 PM
MVP
F@H

no, it's definitely not a coincidence. I have purposely called my phone and put it next to my computer to see if it happens, and what do you know! :P
Also, if i keep my phone a ways away from it it never happens.

EDIT: And yes, my ram is memtest 86+ 12 hours stable.
Old June 13, 2009, 04:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's because apple products are incompatable with PC products.... ;)

Spread spectrum is the only thing that comes to mind, but I'm not even sure if that exists on Nvidia chipset boards.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 13, 2009, 04:51 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The simple solution of course is keep the phone away from the computer. I don't think there is a PC alive that can't be rebooted or made hang by exposing it to a radio signal... yours must be just really sensitive to it. so now you need to figure out why.

Best way to track it down is first replicate the problem, then start removing things external to the computer. I would try printer, then the printer cable try unhooking the screen at the screen, then take the cable away from the computer etc. keep trying over and over and eliminate as much as you can from the situation.

try your Ethernet cable first, allot of those have been made incorrectly... would be my first guess for something external to the case.
Old July 8, 2009, 07:37 PM
MVP
F@H

Alright i'm going to revive this thread. Have some new information ..(and it's still happening.)

So i had to do a testbench for my rebuild, and when i did i tested my cell phone vs my computer. To my surprise, it didn't crash at all.
(this is when i had the rig outside of my Tj-07).
After i sold it, i grabbed a haf 932 and rebuilt my computer into that. And back comes the crashing.

HOWEVER - there were a cuople difference between the test bench and the new rig.
First of all, the printer and ethernet cables weren't connected, but when i put my rig back into the case it started happenign again.
So i figured, that must be it! took out the cables, but bam. still happens.
can cases really magnify the signal so much that it causes a computer crash?
Old July 8, 2009, 10:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wow.....that really is a doozy you got thier Chou....I'm beginning to feel the back of my eye ball throb, my eye lid flickers as the migraine begins...brutal having intermittent problems like that. Now, Mr Wilson mentioned Spread Spectrum and yes, in your BIOS (nForce Chipset right) thier is a Spread Spectrum setting, not sure what you do with it, but it is thier.
As for your Case and Radio Frequencies...dunno, seems crazy that it has happened on both your Silverstone and now your HAF, that should rule out the Case..........

Basically if I get an issue thats intermittent like this I'll start trying to eliminate problematic Hardware.....its all you can really do...what PSU do you have? Think I would start thier.