Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2009, 07:01 PM
MVP

Default Need some help flashing my BIOS

Well first off how am I going to flash my BIOS if I don't have a floppy drive? Secondly would it be a good idea to flash my BIOS? I am hopping that it will slightly increase performance or maybe efficiency(not expecting much though). (Would also be nice if they included overclocking support :D). Another question is that the motherboard supports socket type 775 it also only supports an fsb of 800mhz, the new bios flash will support the newest socket type 775 processors but will it limit them to 800mhz? ( Because I do want to buy a new dual or quad core someday)

The motherboard is an asus P5PE-VM
Old June 6, 2009, 07:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Check the CPU compatabilty chart to see if your mobo will support the CPU you want might want to upgrade to. And a BIOS flash will probably not help any in terms of performance with your existing setup. The only reason I would do a flash is if your current BIOS version won't recognize the CPU you want and a newer version will.
Old June 6, 2009, 07:17 PM
MVP

ok then
Old June 6, 2009, 08:37 PM
MVP

you can flash with a usb stick

but whether it would be a good idea for you to? I can't answer that.
Thats your call.

if you aren't comfortable with it don't do it.
if you are comfortable go ahead and do it.

Have someone knowledgeable do it if you are uncertain\not comfortable.

As far as what the newer bios version for that motherboard will provide?

you'd have to look that up and see at the asus site specific for that board.
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Old June 7, 2009, 07:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

current bios is 1501 for the P5PE-VM

Please note, BIOS update is only recommended when experiencing technical difficulties with your system, And is not recommended to be performed regularly.

Moreover, due to the nature of BIOS update, there is certain level of dangers involved. BIOS update must be performed with extreme caution . During BIOS update process, your system must be maintained without interference or power loss to prevent unexpected damage.

In case of BIOS update failure, please follow instructions in your User's Manual for guidelines on BIOS recovery via CrashFree BIOS. In the event that BIOS recovery is not recoverable via CrashFree BIOS, please contact your place of purchase for further assistance on BIOS recovery.

read page 4 section 2.1.3 of manual and use AFUDOS utility to flash bios can get from link above
Old June 18, 2009, 04:08 PM
Rookie

Default bootable cd

You can make a bootable cd for flashing but it's a lot more work than a usb stick. Also requires having a premade win98 boot image. Secondly always be familiar with the recovery method before you flash, have the recovery media made and ready or know the bios steps by heart without having to look in case you don't have video. The manufacturer should have a list of the latest changes made to each flash version, that way you know whether a new bios is of any use to you at all.