Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30, 2009, 11:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Kaspersky Scan causes Reboot

Every time I use KIS8 to scan my computer for viruses, my Pentium 4 computer automatically reboots. The computer reboots approximately 2 minutes into the scan.

I'm using the computer to do nothing but act as a file server and to download from a very trusted website.
Old May 30, 2009, 03:07 PM
MVP

I have run into a couple people with issues with it.
But far be it from me to tell anybody what to do.
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Last edited by tyreman; May 30, 2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old May 30, 2009, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

how about update before you scan? i notice everytime it has done a major update a restart is require. but i doubt thats the problem
Old May 30, 2009, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
how about update before you scan? i notice everytime it has done a major update a restart is require. but i doubt thats the problem
It's already updated and have restarted. Everytime I do a full system scan, within 2 minutes Windows just restarts. No warnings or anything.
Old May 30, 2009, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thats a really unusual case,i too have a P4 with KIS (7.0.0.125) no problem here. you do have enough power right , once again i doubt its the PSU.

you have a legit key right

If you do you can always go to the kaspersky website and download an older version and try if it works.
Old May 30, 2009, 04:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Since it's operating as a file server, have you done any stressful work on it in the last little while? Sounds like what my P4 laptop was doing whenever I put an extended stress on it until I cleaned out the crap from the exhausts which were gunged up. Just a shot in the dark, but try running something intensive (like a 32M super-pi) which will run for 5+ minutes to rule out overheating issues.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 30, 2009, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
thats a really unusual case,i too have a P4 with KIS (7.0.0.125) no problem here. you do have enough power right , once again i doubt its the PSU.

you have a legit key right

If you do you can always go to the kaspersky website and download an older version and try if it works.
Uhh...key's not legit...but it's the same key that I use on all the computers, so that isn't a problem.

I'm not sure what PSU it is but it's most likely a generic model. The computer's pretty old, P4 @1.5Ghz with 256MB RAMBUS. Nothing was ever replaced in the computer, but we did change the GPU to a MX4000 and added in another hard drive. Other than that, that's bout it.

@sswilson. As a file server, it just hosts my stuff that I download (TVB dramas) and I play them on my other computers. That is what a file server does right? No good with these computer terms...F@H is running in the background.
Old May 30, 2009, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you definite need more ram bro

running F@H cpu client and scanning might cause the ram to crap out.

and what are you downloading with? some of those download clients use a lot of freakin ram

and those F@H clients might already occupied the full 256mb rams

TVB dramas eh, my old man and mom watches them from time to time

Has you tried closing all other applications during scan? with my P4 i notice theres a 20-30 CPU usage during scans.

my specs; P4 3.0ghz, 1.5gb ram, x1650pro. and with KIS checking in the background theres a huge delay with TVB drama play backs

Geo, check out this thread http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...tml#post202666

that fellow HWC member is give away a free CPU + board, i bet you can use that extra few speeds

Last edited by Silvgearx; May 30, 2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old May 30, 2009, 06:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
you definite need more ram bro

running F@H cpu client and scanning might cause the ram to crap out.

and what are you downloading with? some of those download clients use a lot of freakin ram

and those F@H clients might already occupied the full 256mb rams

TVB dramas eh, my old man and mom watches them from time to time

Has you tried closing all other applications during scan? with my P4 i notice theres a 20-30 CPU usage during scans.

my specs; P4 3.0ghz, 1.5gb ram, x1650pro. and with KIS checking in the background theres a huge delay with TVB drama play backs

Geo, check out this thread http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...tml#post202666

that fellow HWC member is give away a free CPU + board, i bet you can use that extra few speeds
I'm not gonna spend $50 on RAMBUS....I don't even use that computer so I can wait lol. Only other use I got for it besides watching/downloading TVB dramas is to hack neopet games....Yes I'm a terrible person.

I'm using Xunlei 5 to download, and according to Task Manager it uses 5 to 10MB RAM tops. The CPU usage wasn't that big either I believe. As for the Folding@Home client, I have it limited to use only 120MB of RAM. Oh and I only download once every 2 to 3 days.

I'll try stopping F@H than using KIS8 to scan my computer again once my ScoreSender for neopets finishes. Yes I'm a terrible person.

KIS8 uses a lot of CPU cycles and RAM when scanning my computer. On all of my computers, including my rig in sig, it makes my computer lag like hell. Keep in mind F@H is running in the background so some of the lag might have come from that, but still, lots of lag.

As for that free server CPU and board.....how does it work?

Edit: I could give Linux a try, once I find out how to share my folders/drives. I already know of a good BT client for Linux that I got from the P3 running Windows XP thread.
Old May 30, 2009, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i do not know how that board works, but i think you might be able to use that 2.2ghz cpu

just wondering what motherboard you have for the P4?