Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26, 2009, 08:57 PM
Rookie
F@H

Default building old computer. psu problem... or something

I will refer to my computers as #1 and #2.

I have got a couple of Pentium 4 computers at home as my secondary computer. I recently found a better motherboard so I decided to swap the CPU's around (moving the CPU from computer #2 to computer #1).

Funny thing is, when I turn on my computer (#1), it stays on for a couple of seconds, goes through the normal POST sequence, then just shuts down and loses power.

Even funnier is that I thought it was the power supply, so I took the CPU and put it back in the other computer (#2). Now both computers are doing the same thing.

I notice something else. If I turn the computers on right after they shut off, they stay on for about 4 seconds or so, whereas if I turn on the computer after a couple minutes of waiting, they stay on for a longer time.

I suspect a PSU problem, but since this is happening to both computers, I'm not sure anymore. Is it possible that it's a CPU problem or something else? They both POST fine. They just turn off for no reason. I've tried resetting the BIOS and everything. I've even tried using a new power outlet. If it really is the power supply, I would have a hard time understanding how both of my power supplies died.

Keep in mind that computer #2 was running this morning, and computer #1 has not been used for a couple of months now.

update: I'm running my computer with no RAM at all, and it's still doing it. This is very weird.
ram\ ocz xtc platinum 4gb 6-6-6-18,
videocard\ evga gtx280..superclocked?,
soundcard\ razer barracuda ac-1 ,
hdd\ seagate barracuda 7200.11 500gb,
os\ 7-64bit, ,
psu\ corsair hx620,
casefans\ 5x120mm, 1x200mm,
case\ antec 900,
mouse\ ocz equalizer,
keyboard\ microsoft comfort curve 2000,
mousepad\ toy story,
monitor\ samsung 2443bw,
fancontroller\ sunbeam four port rheobus,
Old May 27, 2009, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

bent pin on CPU socket also bios update maybe needed
Old May 27, 2009, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are you applying thermal paste when you're doing all this cpu swapping?

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)