Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26, 2009, 07:11 PM
Rookie

Default Question re: partitioning a USB drive

Okay I've had UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD)on discs and on a small 256MB flash drive already. Great utility for any tech or person interested in computers.
Ultimate Boot CD - Overview
I spent a couple hours at work googling and messing around trying to partition my 8GB drive so it has a bootable partition for UBCD and a larger regular partition for regular use. I tried the method of editing the USB driver to force windows to detect it as a fixed disk and partitioning it but once you change the driver back the second partition can't be activated. Anybody successfully partitioned their USB drive and had the partitions stay active?
Old June 1, 2009, 06:39 PM
Rookie

Bump...
Old June 1, 2009, 07:31 PM
MVP

I have but what I use is Gparted which loads up on the ubuntu live cd. All I can say is get ubuntu on a cd and live boot it. There are so many goodies!

Note : Gparted is a full partition editor which will let you select your media (including usb) and will vituilize what the table will look like then it lets you change it, it also has great "flag" support!
Old June 2, 2009, 04:39 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

This is a stupid limitation of Windows. I don't know why they have done this.