Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25, 2009, 12:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Weird Crash Issue

Weird issue has been cropping up lately and I want some input.

The Issue:

So the machine will run fine from a cold boot and can sometimes run for hours(I folded on the gpu/cpu for 63 hours without a problem) but sometimes randomly crashes on me. Once it does crash and I try to reboot I get error code 26(unused). Others with this issue have come to the consensus of this being a GPU error(hopefully not) but I never once encountered in on my old gigabyte board while under air or water.

And here is a picture of the issue:

Hardware:
Foxconn Bloodrage Bios P03/P07(versions I encountered the issue on)
i7 920 @ stock
Corsair Dominator GT
Visiontek 4870x2 w/ Heatkiller block

Any help or ideas would be appreciated, I am going to be getting a test gpu to slot in there to see if I can rule out the GPU. Also been thinking about going back to air(so I can move the gpu around in different slots.
Old May 25, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

That is generally a GPU issue.

I suggest using Furmark to test your GPU stability.
Old May 25, 2009, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you notice any temp augmentation when it happen? It can be cause by a defective circuit on the board wich stop to conduce electricity when coming to hot ( we know that cold is better for conductive material ) Try to add more details if you can I carry on my search on my own side;)

Ask for more

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 25, 2009, 01:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
That is generally a GPU issue.

I suggest using Furmark to test your GPU stability.
Yeah that was my first assumption, Furmark can run successfully, I ran it 5 times, went perfectly. I am wondering, if as the other poster said, maybe a temperature thing? Booting cold works every single time, booting hot does not. I'm wondering if some of the memory modules aren't making full contact with the cooler, I know the core is, my temps are in the 30's, but if the memory isn't it wouldn't show until it crashes right?

On that note: where ARE the memory modules on this card? Going to start recording temps on the PCB/backpanel thing(it gets hot hot hot) and see if there is any correlation between temperatures and crashes. Can't get a dummy videocard until my friend is home at 10:30 tonight
Old May 25, 2009, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

also can be wrong driver 32/64bit OS issue
Old May 25, 2009, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Your memory module are pretty easy to find, there is the ATI version of 4870 X2 but every card are built the same way for memory emplacement. Look at the big black chip all around the GPU's these are the memory, 1Gb over ( 512 per core ) and 1 Gb under 512 per core again. You can't see any of those but when crashing touche the back of the card about 1cm all around the X backplate. If they seem's to hot for you to touch ( don't burn yourself plz this can be an issue. Unfortunatly these card are runngin pretty hot because of the cooler wich is stock ( never the best on market for both company ) and because of the 2 GPU wich are running just aside. Try to run open case with a little fan or a chamber fan pushing air in the computer if that solve the issue then try to cool every single piece one after the other but I don't personaly think it's your CPU.

PM me if more is needed and remember not to take this as a final advice.

Ask for more
Attached Images

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 25, 2009, 05:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

sounds like an installation problem with the aftermarket video card cooler. Either poor contact with the GPU's/RAM or some PCB flex. Looking at the cooling block you are using i don't think it's a circuit board flex problem. Take if off.. clean the surfaces and re-apply?
Old May 25, 2009, 06:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I think that will be my next move once I have some daylight to work with, gonna reinstall the aircooler and play around with it. I think though that inadequate cooling of the memory is likely, the card gets hot in those areas after some use. Hot enough to burn almost.
Old May 25, 2009, 06:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If my memory is good ( and she is not :) ) Heatkiller is a waterblock so aslo try to look at your loop is there is nothing blocking the tube or the waterflow. this is a pretty rare issue but have saw it 3 or 4 time in the past.

I hope tomorrow your post will be close ( not that I didn't like you ) but i hope you will be able to carry on playing because the thing I hate the most is when my computer is feeling sad:(

Ask for more

Martin_metal_88