Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24, 2009, 09:21 AM
Top Prospect

Default 5.1 Speakers Buzzing out :(

Hello everyone I have had this problem for a while now and I just decided to ask for help since its very annoying. Alright so this past month I have been building my pc(specs bellow) and have also bought Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers as a cheap alternative for 5.1. I love how they sound but I have been faced with a problem. Every once and a blue moon randomly my speakers make a very loud buzzing noise whenever their is sound outputted. I try to unplug and plug in the inputs and such but nothing works. It disappears when I restart my pc. Just recently my centre speaker just cuts out or makes a very small cracking sound. I checked the input on the centre speaker and wiggled it. It started outputting a louder buzzing sound them died down. This once again dissapeared when I restarted. I'm using Realtek HD Audio with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I cant seem to find anyone else with the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh and one other thing. When I change the realtek settings to 4.1, the problem dissapears. It has something to do with the centre speaker and 5.1. Sound chip problem maybe? Alsoooooo when I set the sound to 4.1 then turn on the matrix which is simulated 5.1 through the speakers processor, the centre speaker sounds perfect. Very odd.

Update: Alright so using the Realtek HD Audio control panel I chose the Swap Center/Subwoofer output and now the problem seems to be gone

Update:

To everyone that have been giving tips thank you but the problem is back. Changing the center/sub woofer output only works sometimes. the sound is very loud and annoying, sounds like someones crackling plastic bags. The noise is back. Only goes through the centre speaker. I just unplugged it and tried my headphones in the centre speaker port and it gets the noise aswell so its either software or my soundchip is messed on my EVGA x58.
Cooler Master HAF 932 || EVGA X58 3x SLi || Intel Core i7 920@ 3.7GHz || Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 1866MHz || EVGA GeForce GTX 275 FTW || Corsair TX850w || Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1 || Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB || Seagate Barracuda 500gb || Corsair H50 CPU Cooler ||

Last edited by Rocco_360; May 31, 2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:07 AM
Banned
F@H

The problem is probably the speakers themselves...try adjusting the volume on the speakers and see if that has an effect.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

check other speakers if you can
Old May 24, 2009, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

need Realtek ALC889 codec

data sheet.pdf
Old May 24, 2009, 06:08 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
need Realtek ALC889 codec

data sheet.pdf
I got it all up to date already.
Cooler Master HAF 932 || EVGA X58 3x SLi || Intel Core i7 920@ 3.7GHz || Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 1866MHz || EVGA GeForce GTX 275 FTW || Corsair TX850w || Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1 || Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB || Seagate Barracuda 500gb || Corsair H50 CPU Cooler ||
Old May 25, 2009, 08:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

My speakers buzz and it's due to the dimmer switches since my lights are on the same circuit as my wall plugs.

But sounds like you solved your problem anyways.
Old May 26, 2009, 07:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try a different plug and see if it makes a difference.
Old May 26, 2009, 08:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Try a different plug and see if it makes a difference.
Nope, all my plugs are on the same circuit.

The dimmers themselves buzz as well so I'm thinking if I replaced them it would solve things, but that's a total of 4 switches which would end up fairly costly.
Old May 26, 2009, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If my wireless router is too close to my Sub I get that buzzing noise but through all speakers, just though I would throw it out there for anyone that has similar issues.
Old May 31, 2009, 01:27 PM
Top Prospect

To everyone that have been giving tips thank you but the problem is back. Changing the center/sub woofer output only works sometimes. the sound is very loud and annoying, sounds like someones crackling plastic bags. The noise is back. Only goes through the centre speaker. I just unplugged it and tried my headphones in the centre speaker port and it gets the noise aswell so its either software or my soundchip is messed on my EVGA x58.