Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2007, 10:55 AM
Rookie

Default HD Switching

Hi, I have a Seagate Barracuda 200 gig HD, its IDE.

That HD came with my old pc, I've been using it on my new one though. It has a recovery partition on it that installs windows. I just bought a Seagate Barracuda 500 gig, but this one is Sata 2. I plugged it in. Its not appeared in My Computer. So I found Disk Manager. I partitioned it 3 times. I can put stuff on it and yeah its great. But I want to copy the recovery partition from IDE HD to this one or even the whole HD to the new one. Because I want to get rid of the IDE and just use the Sata. I have no clue how to do this. Help?

Thanks anyone that posts
Old July 5, 2007, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

It might not work out since ths new drive is Sata, but is this a dell recovery partition? I would recommend using something like Norton Ghost. I am not awware of any other imaging program that does it, so I can't be much help. But if you tell us what the recovery partition is for, it could improve your chances.
Old July 5, 2007, 11:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Acronis has a good trial version HD swapper that works well. It's good for 15 days and is designed for just what you're looking for.

Download copying and migrating software for transfering all your data to a new HDD

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 5, 2007, 11:37 AM
Rookie

The recovery partition is for Windows XP Media Center Edtion 2005 it installs it with a quick format.

I am hoping to even just get this partition copied to the new HD. The HD is from a Cisnet PC. If I can't it copied then I don't have a copy of XP. Because some "Smart" person decided not to give out windows xp disks with computers. Then the great Recovery disk option. It says I have created recovery disks already???? Ok there windows......

:help: Thanks.
Old July 5, 2007, 11:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Acronis has a good trial version HD swapper that works well. It's good for 15 days and is designed for just what you're looking for.

Download copying and migrating software for transfering all your data to a new HDD
Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.
Old July 5, 2007, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

Oh right thatswhat I forgot, Acronis. IF you have seagate drives you can get a free copy from the Seagate website. Its their drive tools. I forget what they renamed it.
Old July 5, 2007, 11:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheator View Post
Oh right thatswhat I forgot, Acronis. IF you have seagate drives you can get a free copy from the Seagate website. Its their drive tools. I forget what they renamed it.
For some reason I've never had any luck migrating a boot drive over with the seagate tools (Seatools I think).

I've migrated two systems over using the acronis easy migrate and it's worked like a charm both times. (just remember to remove the first drive before you boot after migrating)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 5, 2007, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
For some reason I've never had any luck migrating a boot drive over with the seagate tools (Seatools I think).

I've migrated two systems over using the acronis easy migrate and it's worked like a charm both times. (just remember to remove the first drive before you boot after migrating)
Diskwizard, available on their website, is Acronis but relabled. Infact, if you read the agreement it says Acronis right at the top.