Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2009, 11:13 PM
Rookie

Default x58, i7 920 - Slow Startup, Strange temperatures

Hiya,

To start this off, I'm a computer enthusiast. I'm very careful with the files I dl and open. I use AVG but only to check a file I newly download. Then I shut it off for performance. I'm sure people know why.

Specs
PCPower&Cooling 750W Silencer PSU
eVGA x58 Mobo
Core i7 920
nVidia 9800GTX+
3gb of Corsair XMS3
300gb Seagate SATA HD

The rest is trivial...I think.

Running XP Pro Performance (want to go back to my official OEM SP2 disk since XP Pro Performance has severe issues in hibernation/standby - erratic restarts and crashes)

First issue:
Boot up speed, PRE-OS boot.
During startup, the computer goes through its POST. This, for some reason, takes a hell of a long time on my eVGA x58. I would say 7+ seconds. Then I have the diagnostics and verifying DMI pool, etc. Is this amount of time required normal?

OS boot
Windows loads quickly but when I hit enter to go into my user, I'm hardly running anything on start up, yet it takes a hell of a long time for me. I've tuned using msconfig so that not even my Realtek HD audio driver loads. Just stuff like Logitech Setpoint and Nvidia stuff. Nothign else. Yet the time from hitting OK to log in to actually being able to acess stuff at full speed can take over a minute. It's insanely slow. It wasn't like this before.

Also, note that if I'm on a session and I log off and re-log-on, everything loads super speedy.

Second Issue: There are LEDs mounted on my board which tell me the temperature of something (Don't know if this is for the cores or for the mobo). They read 32-35C when I'm idling. eVGA's eleet software tells me its running at least 10C higher than what's on the board.

Furthermore, the LED readouts ont he board appear to be FRYING? I remember when I first got hte board, the LEDs were bright green. They appear to be yellowing. I remember this happening during my AP Physics project when I sent too much voltage to the 7 segment LEDS. What the hell is going on?
Old May 18, 2009, 12:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
During startup, the computer goes through its POST. This, for some reason, takes a hell of a long time on my eVGA x58. I would say 7+ seconds. Then I have the diagnostics and verifying DMI pool, etc. Is this amount of time required normal?
Perfectly normal...disable the SATA "Red" Ports....(if your not using them) the JMicronJMB363 Ports...this will speed things up a bit in the Post.....
Quote:
Furthermore, the LED readouts ont he board appear to be FRYING? I remember when I first got hte board, the LEDs were bright green. They appear to be yellowing. I remember this happening during my AP Physics project when I sent too much voltage to the 7 segment LEDS. What the hell is going on?

contact Evga Support....no idea...you spacing out or something?.(you know staring at the LED's).......sorry gotta ask.....

Old May 18, 2009, 08:03 AM
Rookie

Do the ports appear under Device Manager or under BIOS? I have no idea how to tell them apart on the UIs...they're all SATA controllers aren't they?
Old May 18, 2009, 10:11 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by consid3r View Post
Do the ports appear under Device Manager or under BIOS? I have no idea how to tell them apart on the UIs...they're all SATA controllers aren't they?
a photo from our review on that board here...Integrated Peripherals > Onboard PATA/SATA Devices >

you will want to disable the JMB362 controller. the JMB363 can also be disabled, if you are not using the IDE connection.

as for your temperature discrepancy part of the second issue, the LED readout shows the CPU temperature that the BIOS shows, this is the temperature at the IHS. E-LEET shows the temperature of the actual cores, on the die (the reading with individual temperatures for each core, 4 in total). the on-die temperature reading of the individual cores is more accurate and should always be 5-10C, if not more, hotter than what the LED readout and BIOS give. HTH