Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2009, 11:12 PM
Allstar

Default Dual Booting causing problems for the 1st time

Hey guys, I've dual booted tons of times.. hackintosh/windows ubuntu/windows xp/vista..... basically everything.

This computer has been nothing but problems though. I tried installed XP on 1 harddrive, and Vista on the other.

It would not work. Whenever I had one working, I'd go into bios, change bootup to other hd, then I'd get bootmgr errors.

I decided to just partition my 1 harddrive into 2 partitions, and install Vista on the one, and XP on the other....

The same way I've done it tons of times on previous computers without any issues.

For some reason, this time they both installed fine... (i did vista first) but it automatically boots into XP everytime.... I dont get that one boot screen that you usually get. (the one that says you have 29 seconds to choose the OS you want to load)

Does anyone know if I can change something to make that screen appear... rather then installing the os's AGAIN (will be 3rd time tonight)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Old May 14, 2009, 11:14 PM
Allstar

Actually... I think if I download EasyBCD it will solve my problems... hold on 1 sec while I try it.

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Old May 15, 2009, 09:56 AM
Allstar

Hmm. I've tried going vista first, then xp... and other way around a few times last night... its not working at all like it used to..

Now I went XP then installed vista on the other partition. Now the computer just boots straight into Vista. No screen comes up letting me choose which OS.

EDIT:

I used easyBCD to get the boot screen to appear. Vista works fine, but when I select XP I get that NTLDR error!

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Last edited by element291; May 15, 2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by element291 View Post
Hmm. I've tried going vista first, then xp... and other way around a few times last night... its not working at all like it used to..

Now I went XP then installed vista on the other partition. Now the computer just boots straight into Vista. No screen comes up letting me choose which OS.

EDIT:

I used easyBCD to get the boot screen to appear. Vista works fine, but when I select XP I get that NTLDR error!

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?
Do this it's what worked for me when I had this same issue

Fix [COLOR=#173e68! important][COLOR=#173e68! important]Boot [COLOR=#173e68! important]Loader[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

:
Vista will load the GUI files, and then display the loading splash screen.

-Click "Next" on the first screen
-Once the "Install Now" menu (do not click Install Now) choose "Repair Your Computer":

-You will be prompted to choose the OS to repair. Don't worry if Vista is the only OS that shows up, even after a search.

click "Next"

-I realize there is a "Fix Startup" option, but it's been my experience that it doesn't work, and this method will.
-choose to open a "[COLOR=#173e68! important][COLOR=#173e68! important]Command [COLOR=#173e68! important]Prompt[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]":

type in the command prompt the following 2 lines (separatly):
Bootrec.exe /fixMBR
Bootrec.exe /fixBoot

-close the prompt and restart
-now that Vista controls your boot loader, the process is mostly finished, now we need to inform Vista that XP is installed, as

to enable the boot loader selection screen.
*There are programs such as VistaBootPRO that will do this for you, but it requires .[COLOR=#173e68! important][COLOR=#173e68! important]NET [COLOR=#173e68! important]framework[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], etc, so I did it the manual

way.
Edit boot.ini:
In Vista, the boot.ini is not editable directly, as the file itself is hard to locate, so we will be modifying it through "Boot

Configuration Data Store Editor" bcdedit.exe:
(Just as an explanation, the loader type for XP is an NT Loader, hence the use of ntldr)

-first open a [COLOR=#173e68! important][COLOR=#173e68! important]command [COLOR=#173e68! important]prompt[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

with administrative privilages (right-click and choose "run as administrator")
*Note the following 2 answers from bcdedit for each item are acceptable:
"The Operation Completed Successfully"
"The Specified Entry Already Exists"
Be sure to type each line carefully (replace C in the first line with the drive containing your Vista installation):
bcdedit –set {ntldr} device partition=C:
bcdedit –set {ntldr} path \ntldr
bcdedit –displayorder {ntldr} –addlast
bcdedit -set {ntldr} description "[COLOR=#173e68! important][COLOR=#173e68! important]Microsoft [COLOR=#173e68! important]Windows [/COLOR][COLOR=#173e68! important]XP[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]"

The completed bcdedit file should resemble this:

-This will correctly add XP to your boot sequence, and even name it properly instead of "Earlier Version of Windows"
-the displayorder line also allows the entry to be visible under the advanced settings of your computer properties.

Vista is the default boot, if you wish to change this to XP it can be done by setting {current} to addlast, or under the computer

-> properties -> advanced settings.

If all done properly, XP and Vista will dual boot properly
Old May 15, 2009, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodgrod View Post
Do this it's what worked for me when I had this same issue

Fix [COLOR=#173e68! important][COLOR=#173e68! important]Boot [COLOR=#173e68! important]Loader[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

:
Vista will load the GUI files, and then display the loading splash screen.

-Click "Next" on the first screen
-Once the "Install Now" menu (do not click Install Now) choose "Repair Your Computer":

-You will be prompted to choose the OS to repair. Don't worry if Vista is the only OS that shows up, even after a search.

click "Next"

-I realize there is a "Fix Startup" option, but it's been my experience that it doesn't work, and this method will.
-choose to open a "[COLOR=#173e68! important][COLOR=#173e68! important]Command [COLOR=#173e68! important]Prompt[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]":

type in the command prompt the following 2 lines (separatly):
Bootrec.exe /fixMBR
Bootrec.exe /fixBoot

-close the prompt and restart
-now that Vista controls your boot loader, the process is mostly finished, now we need to inform Vista that XP is installed, as

to enable the boot loader selection screen.
*There are programs such as VistaBootPRO that will do this for you, but it requires .[COLOR=#173e68! important][COLOR=#173e68! important]NET [COLOR=#173e68! important]framework[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], etc, so I did it the manual

way.
Edit boot.ini:
In Vista, the boot.ini is not editable directly, as the file itself is hard to locate, so we will be modifying it through "Boot

Configuration Data Store Editor" bcdedit.exe:
(Just as an explanation, the loader type for XP is an NT Loader, hence the use of ntldr)

-first open a [COLOR=#173e68! important][COLOR=#173e68! important]command [COLOR=#173e68! important]prompt[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

with administrative privilages (right-click and choose "run as administrator")
*Note the following 2 answers from bcdedit for each item are acceptable:
"The Operation Completed Successfully"
"The Specified Entry Already Exists"
Be sure to type each line carefully (replace C in the first line with the drive containing your Vista installation):
bcdedit -set {ntldr} description "[COLOR=#173e68! important][COLOR=#173e68! important]Microsoft [COLOR=#173e68! important]Windows [/COLOR][COLOR=#173e68! important]XP[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]"

The completed bcdedit file should resemble this:

-This will correctly add XP to your boot sequence, and even name it properly instead of "Earlier Version of Windows"
-the displayorder line also allows the entry to be visible under the advanced settings of your computer properties.

Vista is the default boot, if you wish to change this to XP it can be done by setting {current} to addlast, or under the computer

-> properties -> advanced settings.

If all done properly, XP and Vista will dual boot properly
what he said it looks hard but if you follow the instructions it will work
Old May 15, 2009, 04:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I found it really easy I installed and set up vista then installed XP, rebooted then got the error booted from the vista DVD repaired the start up put these commands into the command prompt under the vista set up.

"Be sure to type each line carefully (replace C in the first line with the drive containing your Vista installation):
bcdedit -set {ntldr} description "[

And that did the trick