Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2009, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Default new build troubles, won't power up

I am attempting to build my first PC and have been running into some issues.

Here's the hardware I have

nMedia 2000b case
Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L motherboard
Intel e5200 2.5ghz processor
Samsung DVD-r
Samsung 1tb drive
Enermax Tomahawk 405m power supply
2gb Corsair ram

Now I've assembled all my components and when I flip the switch I get absolutely nothing. No fan, no lights or anything else. I checked through the obvious first, checked wall plug worked, checked all the connectors were attached properly, still nothing. I disassembled and tried everything from scratch to see if I missed anything and still nothing. I confer with friends that all this seems to point to the power supply. So I took the PS back to Canada Computers, where it was in fact confirmed to be dead. I exchanged the PS for another and had the tech check that this one was in fact working before I took it home. Reassembled the everything again, mucked with the front panel pin header placement, as I wasn't 100% sure of the placement given the instructions. Still nothing. Now if the PS is in fact working then it makes me question whether front panel of the case might be dead and hence why I can't turn it on. At this point I'm grasping at straws. Since this is my first build I don't have any other working components that I can swap in to test, so I'm at a loss now. I bought the case from NXSource so I would have to ship it cross-country to exchange it as I am in Ontario. The rest of the stuff is from Canada Computers, which does make things a little easier to deal with.

Anyone have any ideas on stuff I could troubleshoot or maybe some newbie mistake I'm making here that would cause absolutely nothing to happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old May 10, 2009, 08:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can try to short the power switch on the board with keys or a screwdriver. Sometime at job we see poeple who inverse power and reset switch look at this ( press reset see if something happen ) Look if you have plug the 4pin connector of the board proprely (in the right sense ) and be sure that the 4 pin you use is the ATX 4pin power and not a VGA 4pin power ( this can kill your board and many other component ) See if there is no board screw if there is no one wich broke it. At last for now behind your PSU you have a switch 120 240 make sure she is on 120. Hope that will helo you but this is not every tips you will get here:P there is over thousand way to test your pc:P

Ask for more if needed PM me if you want it will be a pleasure to answer

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 10, 2009, 08:19 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Some boards are picky in regards to the Power switch connector; there is a positive (the colored wire) and a negative (the white wire). Verify in your board's manual which pin is which.

Did you install the motherboard stand-offs at the correct locations?

Worst case, disassemble everything, clear the CMOS (check manual) and re-assemble on the motherboard's box with the cpu, one stick of ram, the main connector and the secondary 4-pins connector, next to the CPU socket.
Old May 11, 2009, 07:00 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
You can try to short the power switch on the board with keys or a screwdriver. Sometime at job we see poeple who inverse power and reset switch look at this ( press reset see if something happen ) Look if you have plug the 4pin connector of the board proprely (in the right sense ) and be sure that the 4 pin you use is the ATX 4pin power and not a VGA 4pin power ( this can kill your board and many other component ) See if there is no board screw if there is no one wich broke it. At last for now behind your PSU you have a switch 120 240 make sure she is on 120. Hope that will helo you but this is not every tips you will get here:P there is over thousand way to test your pc:P

Ask for more if needed PM me if you want it will be a pleasure to answer
I just checked the PS specs(Canada Computers - Power Supplies > Mainstream Performance : Enermax ETK405AST Tomahawk 405W Power Supply.) and it doesn't look like I even have an option of a VGA 4 pin, so we can rule that out. I have the PS set to 115.

How would I go about shorting something, and is there a risk of frying the motherboard by doing that?
Old May 11, 2009, 07:07 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Some boards are picky in regards to the Power switch connector; there is a positive (the colored wire) and a negative (the white wire). Verify in your board's manual which pin is which.

Did you install the motherboard stand-offs at the correct locations?

Worst case, disassemble everything, clear the CMOS (check manual) and re-assemble on the motherboard's box with the cpu, one stick of ram, the main connector and the secondary 4-pins connector, next to the CPU socket.

I'm pretty sure I had the pins in the wrong spots initially having misread the instructions. I'm pretty sure the negative is white as the LED cord is split into 2 and the white 1 is negative. What would I achieve by clearing the CMOS?
Old May 11, 2009, 07:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Name:  power.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  73.4 KB

Here is something to start you out. You can use the power of google and find many troubleshooting options. As 3.0 charlie noted do your initial assembly out of the case on a non conductive surface with minimum components to verify system integrity and to simplify troubleshooting. Keep adding components until you have your system the way you want it and then move everything into your case. I suspect that you have the wiring plugged in wrong, sometimes the manuals are very sketchy. Keep us posted, we will help you get your rig going. As far as the cmos thing is concerned, clearing it resets your bios settings to factory default. Your computer can get "confused" sometimes and until you clear the cmos it may refuse to boot.
Old May 11, 2009, 07:27 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will have to give them a go when I get home tonight.
Old May 11, 2009, 07:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

try having nothing connected to your PSU then run a wire between the green connector on the motherboard power connector to any of the black ones, that should allow you to turn on the psu atleast to test if its working, connect a single fan for testing reasons.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old May 11, 2009, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
try having nothing connected to your PSU then run a wire between the green connector on the motherboard power connector to any of the black ones, that should allow you to turn on the psu atleast to test if its working, connect a single fan for testing reasons.
I was just going to say the same thing , to run a jumper wire from the green to the black wires to see if the PSU is working.
and if it is working then work backward by unpluging or removing on hardware component and then trying the power, it could be something so simple as the 4 plug that isn't plugged into the Mother board ( I did this when I first put together my system )
Old May 12, 2009, 05:46 AM
Rookie

I discovered the problem. Turns out I had the 4 pin connector backwards and it fired right up once I flipped it around. I was under the impression those connectors only fit in the one way, so since it went in the first try I assumed that was the correct way. Feel pretty stupid about it now, but at least my build is functioning and I can get to installing an OS now. Thanks for the help everyone.