Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2009, 10:37 AM
Rookie

Default Can't....Figure....It out....

Hello all. I have been having some problems with a rig after a very simple operation. The specs are as follows:

Intel C2D E6750 (Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro cooled)
Gigabyte P35-DS3L
OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066 (2x2GB)
Gigabyte Nvidia 9500GT
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
1 7200 RPM SATA HDD
1 DVD-RW ODD
1 FDD
Multi-card reader
Corsair 400w CX PSU
All in a Coolermaster RC-690

This box is underclocked and used for all the programs i leave on all the time (torrents, AIM, etc.). 2 weeks ago i upgraded my powerful pc to a Lian-Li PC-A70B and bought a TRUE 120 to go with it. Its an x58 board and was using a CM Hyper N520 to cool it. Swapped that out just fine, but the problems occured when I tried to put the Hyper N520 into the box I have listed. The physical operation itself went fine, but after i tried to turn it back on, it didnt display anything.

The monitor never shows any kind of results. It stays on a black screen. The case lights, case fans, cpu heatsink fans, GPU fan, and hard drive (can tell by the seeking noises) come on, but nothing happens display wise. After some initial cursing, I gathered myself and approached it in a problem solving kind of manner. I first thought it was the monitor, so i tried hooking it up to a different monitor with the same results. Then I thought it was the graphics card, so i swapped it out with an old 8800GTS 640, same results with both monitors. Then i tried removing all other PCI cards (sound, eSATA, and wireless), same thing. Then i tried swapping out the RAM with an older set of DDR2-800s, same thing. Then i tried going total barebones, using nothing but the CPU, heatsink, MB, GPU, and just 1 RAM stick 4 times, trying all 4 RAM slots, same thing. I also tried hooking up a system speaker, because after reading the P35-DS3L manual again, it says it can give beep codes when it encounters errors, it stayed totally silent.

After some more tests including not using the retention bracket on the hyper N520 (just washers and nuts) it still didnt power on. I just swapped the AC Freezer 7 Pro back onto the mobo last night to remove any chances of it being the cooler, but now have a different problem. After i hit the power button, the lights light up, some of the fans start spinning, the HDD makes 2 seeking noises, then it restarts by itself only to keep repeating this process until I turn it off myself. I'm positive theres nothing wrong with the PSU, it worked just fine until now and I didnt screw around with it or anything during the operation. What could my problem possibly be now?

(EDIT: My situation is fairly well documented until this point on the Overclock.net forums, this is my thread for any interested enough: Total unexplained meltdown - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net)
Old May 6, 2009, 10:41 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Ummm, hang on a tick. You have a C2D CPU + DDR2 Ram on an X58 board?.....

Old May 6, 2009, 10:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

LOL. I'm pretty sure he got confused...he's just dreaming of having X58. Maybe try a PCI video card? Your PCI-E slot may be FUBAR.
Old May 6, 2009, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Sounds like perhaps you didn't pay attention to the standoffs or your cooler possibly shorted the board
Old May 6, 2009, 10:59 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
LOL. I'm pretty sure he got confused...he's just dreaming of having X58.
I sure hope so, a 775 in a 1366 socket wouldnt be too pretty..
Old May 6, 2009, 11:07 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Sounds like you need some Dilithium crystals there Capt. Kirk :)
Old May 6, 2009, 11:22 AM
Allstar

I'm sure he meant the DDR3's.

I've encountered this problem in the past - I would suggest unplugging everything from the motherboard-including the harddrive. Try another psu. I'm sure you have attempted a bios recovery by this time. Plug the fans for the cooler directly to the powersupply instead of the fan plug stand offs and see if it at least boots.

If all else fails, remove the motherboard and try again to offset any grounding issues that may have occurred during the installation process.

Carefully inspect the motherboard.

CHEERS

Last edited by Mark; May 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old May 6, 2009, 11:41 AM
MVP

I had a new/bad power supply that did the same exact thing. Was a new build....hooked everything up...turned on..HD, lights, fans, cpu fan came on....but nothing on display, no beeps.

Until you test or try another power supply...you haven't really ruled it out.

Actually I should add to this....you should pull everything off the MB except the Ram, CPU, vid card, power supply of course...use just one stick of ram maybe. Even pull the case wires cept power button, unplug HD cables.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!

Last edited by LionRed; May 6, 2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old May 6, 2009, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I'm sure he meant the DDR3's.
P35 = DDR2

He was in la la land when he wrote X58 ;)
Old May 6, 2009, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
He was in la la land when he wrote X58 ;)
As said..he was dreaming about his new Board......Enab...where is your other Avitar..the "licking cow".....gotta be one of the funniest I've seen.