Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2009, 07:50 AM
Rookie

Question Power Problems

Last night I finally got my computer working. After getting a bad hard drive, on the first try, I have now spent over a week sitting in front of this machine trying to get all of my software and games installed. Last night I finally finished, just as my iphone was going to complete a sync and I was going to be done with installing. The lights in my house started to flicker. Thinking this may be a problem with the PC, I quickly undocked the phone and then shutdown. Then I flipped the power switch and then unplugged the PC. I woke up this morning, and plugged in my computer, and turned it on. Now it started to boot, I see a (Loading Asus Express Gate.....) on screen. Then it shutdown after about 3 seconds, it repeatedly does this until I flip the power switch. Whats wrong?
Old May 4, 2009, 07:57 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Try resetting your BIOS by finding the "Clear cmos" jumper on your motherboard. Your motherboard's manual should have an explanation on where to find that jumper and how to reset the BIOS for you. Best of luck!
Old May 4, 2009, 08:16 AM
Rookie

It seems to be a random interval before it shuts down any where from 1 to 10 seconds. Does this make any differance?
Old May 4, 2009, 08:35 AM
Rookie

I found a Clear CMOS RTC Jumper which I used but did not fix the problem.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:53 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Are there any beep codes when the system attempts to turn on?
Old May 4, 2009, 09:58 AM
Rookie

Okay after quite a bit more testing I am thoroughly confused. I just got into windows for about 10 seconds then the thing quit again. It doesn't actually shut down, it just restarts immediately. It seems to pick a random time, then the red light on my video card flash and it restarts. Aside from a single beep when it turns on the first time, nothing.
Old May 4, 2009, 10:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Power supply failing? You power up, it heats up, then fails? That's my guess.
Old May 4, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That would be my first my guess....can you try another PSU?
Old May 4, 2009, 10:38 AM
Rookie

I dont have any other on hand. At least none that are powerful enough. I paid 150$ US to get a nice 750 watt corsair supply, because of their reliability, this seems awful. Its only been 2 weeks. Do you think I should go out and buy another 700 Watt powersupply to test this?

Last edited by tim333; May 4, 2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old May 4, 2009, 11:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Where are you located? I'd hate to see you buy a new PSU without being absolutely sure that the PSU is the issue.

Best bet is to list all of your kit so that folks get an idea of what they're dealing with. The corsairs have been pretty good to folks, and I can't see you needing more than 750W, but it's always possible that you got one of the few duds in the batch.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP