Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1, 2009, 05:32 AM
Rookie

Default HD3300 HDTV Problems

have a Biostar motherboard (T790GX128M) with an integrated HD3300 that i am using with a 42" Phillips 1080p TV that only has HDMI and component, no VGA. The problem is that when its hooked to the tv and the ATI drivers are installed the screen looks like crap even when the TV is set to PC Mode, the screen won't go 100% theres always a black frame around the picture about 1-2 inch from the edges, also it keeps wanting to run at 1080i 30hz. The picture quality is actually alot better when no driver is installed and its using the standard vista SVGA driver.

Now i have used my laptop alot on the tv and the picture via hdmi when set to pcmode has been flawless, the laptop uses an intel X4500HD, so i know its not the tv. I have heard ATI drivers suck so are they the problem? I have used the latest drivers as well as the ones on the mobo cd. Any and all help would be appreciated.
Old May 1, 2009, 05:43 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I can't remember what setting it is but there is an advanced menu in the 9.4 drivers / Catalyst Control Center where you can adjust the aspect ratio for LCD TVs.

Also, in the Presets menu, there should be a drop-down selector to change your video setting from standard to one of the custom profiles.
Old May 1, 2009, 05:58 AM
Rookie

I was playing with the aspect ratio settings a little last night in ccc, couldn't get the custom profile to load but it was also late and i was getting pissed off so i will take another look this evening. one thing i did notice was that when you went to make a custom profile the the screen went full and the image became clear but it didn't stay that way after and i couldn't seem to load it.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:01 AM

Are you using the 9.4 drivers? I know there were some aspect ratio issues when I was using older 8.10 and 8.12 drivers on my HDTV.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:06 AM
Rookie

using the latest ones from amd/ati's website i believe, i had old drivers installed initially but i uninstalled them befire i updated. i will also mention in windows 7 rc1 the aspect ratio problem still exists but the image is perfect. i may end up regretting my 4770 order if this is the way ati drivers work.

Last edited by DarkRaven; May 1, 2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:17 AM

Have you tried moving your tv OFF of PC mode? On my Samsung 850-series I needed to use standard settings and not the PC settings.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:22 AM
Rookie

i get the same results with both, it almost seems like ccc is overiding everything and forcing some sort of hdtv mode that my tv doesn't like. with my tv i have always had to set it to pc mode or i get crap picture.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:38 AM

Have you tried plugging the computer into a standard monitor to troubleshoot?

Also, is it plugged into the TV via HDMI or Component? I am going to assume HDMI but you never know.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:57 AM
Rookie

its hooked up via hdmi. i have a 22" crt in the closet so i can pull that out and try it there. just wondering if i should re-os the machine on a monitor and set it up beofre moving it to the tv, shouldn't make a difference really but i am pretty much willing to try anything at this point.
Old May 1, 2009, 07:09 AM

I can't seem to find your mobo on the Biostar site for some reason.

I don't think a complete reinstall is warranted at this point. However, this is what I would recommend:

Update BIOS

Completely uninstall the current drivers (Open ATI installer and pick Uninstall instead of Install, reboot into Safe Mode, Use Driver Cleaner / Sweeper, reboot, reinstall drivers).

Install ATI HDMI driver (called Realtek ATI HDMI Audio Driver). This is only for Audio over HDMI but it is good to install nonetheless.

Go into your Device Manager and check if all of your components are recognized (note anything that has a warning sign)

Now plug in your CRT and check if the IGP is able to display to the monitor's max resolution.

Get back to this thread and post away with the results.