Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Trying to use my LCD TV as a second monitor (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/17411-trying-use-my-lcd-tv-second-monitor.html)

Lpfan4ever April 29, 2009 06:00 PM

Trying to use my LCD TV as a second monitor

I'm trying to hook up my 42" LCD TV to my computer as a second monitor, and (was hoping) also to switch back and forth between my monitor depending on where I feel like playing.
My TV is a Dynex DX-LCD42HD-09, and I am using a GTX260 with the DVI to HDMI adapter that came with it. I am using a Geek Squad HDMI cable category 2, which was tested before my friend shipped it to me.
I can't tell if it's the computer not finding the TV, or vice-versa, but I can't get any display on my TV at all. The computer isn't even recognizing the TV. Well, unless that is I turn off the TV, then the nvidia control panel shows an analog monitor and I get the Vista sound of something connecting. As soon as I turn it on it disappears again and get that vista disconnect sound . Tried using it just by itself, as the starting main monitor on a restart and still nothing. Tried both HDMI ports on the TV (Although the TV reccommends the first) and both DVI connections with no luck. My 2053BW works fine on both DVI connections.
I've tried Google, but the problems are so far and wide that I can't find anything specific to what I'm dealing with.

Basic list of what I've tried, for the paragraphly reading impaired:haha::
1) Unplug and replug the HDMI cable and DVI->HDMI adapter
2) Restart PC multiple times
3) Tried both HDMI ports on TV
4) Tried both DVI ports on video card
5) Reinstalled latest drivers (182.50)

*EDIT*
When I first hooked the TV up to the PC, it worked, but there was a crapload of overscan so I tried a restart and then yeah, this started.

Shadowmeph April 29, 2009 06:50 PM

have you setup( Turned on) your second monitor ( TV ) through the desktop properties ?

Lpfan4ever April 29, 2009 06:54 PM

Well, I would if the monitor would come up. Even when it does come up (when I turn the TV off) it shows as "analog monitor", instead of "Prima LCD" (odd) that I saw when it worked the very first time.

ipaine April 29, 2009 07:10 PM

Hmmm, well I have that same TV and have it running as a third monitor but I am using the VGA connection. I am planning on using HDMI in the near future (when I get my HTPC built) but for now it is too far away for it to be worth it to get a HDMI cable.

As for your issue, what does it show in the Nvidia control panel under the "Set up multiple displays" Does it show more than just your single monitor? And don't worry if it doesn't say Prima LCDTV. Also check to see what it shows under the windows display settings. It should show under one of them. You could also try using a VGA cable instead of the HDMI cable, at least to see if you can get it working at all.

Lpfan4ever April 29, 2009 08:14 PM

Took a VGA cable off an old LCD sitting here and whadd'ya know. It works. Still kinda like the idea of HDMI, since I don't technically own this VGA cable :haha: (Mom's friend's she hasn't picked it back up yet)

KaptCrunch April 29, 2009 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HOME DEPOT FOR cables adapter an plug into #2 port have #1 dvd

on tv need to set input for compter on #2 input

on desk top open nvidia CP should see your tv just check box

Lpfan4ever April 30, 2009 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaptCrunch (Post 187176)
HOME DEPOT FOR cables adapter an plug into #2 port have #1 dvd

on tv need to set input for compter on #2 input

on desk top open nvidia CP should see your tv just check box

Thanks for trying to help, but I know how to enable it, the problem is it won't show up in either the nvidia control panel or the Windows display settings.
HDMI is supposed to make everything easier with it's super one cable, not make me want to shoot something :bleh:

Supergrover April 30, 2009 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpfan4ever (Post 187216)
Thanks for trying to help, but I know how to enable it, the problem is it won't show up in either the nidia control panel or the Windows display settings.
HDMI is supposed to make everything easier with it's super one cable, not make me want to shoot something :bleh:

I had a similar prob with my 5"tft lcd, it would connect then disconnect, forcing detection wouldnt work, same thing switched the interface and everthing is fine.