Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 29, 2009, 01:15 PM
Top Prospect

Default Lag issues...

Hey guys

So.. heres another problem!
Im on a fresh win xp installation. I have nothing running on background, not even messenger.

Since last monday I have a lot of troubles with my latency

Im playing call of duty 4, my ping shows as 50-60 wich is in the average (or a little better than the average) but in really it much worst than that. I can see that people dont walk/run but they somehow pop to different places. You know what I mean? Theres nothing before you but all of a sudden you die and the "replay" shows that someone was walking straight to you and shot you square in the head even if you didnt see a thing. My ping shows around 50-60 but it feel like 5000-6000 at least or as if i was running 10x system's full scan for viruses.

What could be causing surch a problem?

Before the lag issue started, I did the following.
1- I flashed my BIOS from F2 to F2b and then to F3 (which should be increasing the lan capacity)
2- I installed Bitdegender's firewall and used it in both notmal and game mode, I even tried to uninstall it and I see no difference whatsoever.

I dont think the is a graphic bug since im using a 4890 on 1600x1050 so my graphic card should not be under surch a strain.. I use the lastest drivers and everything.. Unless someone can prove its my graphics..

I rebooted the router, called my ISP and they tell me everything is normal. I really dont get whats wrong...

If anyone has any idea please tell me xD
Old April 29, 2009, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

call your ISP also goto this site and do a quick check your line quality Line quality testing - dslreports.com when I am online gaming I only have 18 process's running in the back ground ( win xp) how many process's do you have running?
Old April 29, 2009, 01:56 PM
Top Prospect

I have 31 processes running

and the dsl report gives me that error

"sorry, xx.xx.xx.xx is not pingable from www.dslreports.com."

My firewall is off.. I dont get it xD
Old April 29, 2009, 04:18 PM
Top Prospect

Got rid of 7 useless process.
But im still lagging like hell even tho my ping shows as very low...

Is it possible that 1 computer on the lan leaches all the internet speed ?
Old April 29, 2009, 05:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

could be Punk buster I know that when I wa s playing ET a couple of weeks ago I would like really bad so I contacted my ISP after checking everything else and they said everything was normal I then talked to a few other guys at one of the ET forums and they all said that PunkBuster was lagging the hell out of certain people SO i just stopped playing the Punk buster games to check and I never lagged so I am guessing it is Punkbuster
as for the thing not being pingable you have something blocking out the ip address maybe a router or your firewall , even if you think that your firewall is off doesn't necessarily mean that it is 100% off. also it isn't really a very good idea to not have a firewall