Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2009, 10:25 AM
Top Prospect

Default 5.1 and Realtek = bad match

Hey guys,

So with the new cpu I built I wanted good audio. At least anything better than stereo with a little dept / sub base.

So, I bought a 5.1 system x-540 from logitech (2 front 2 rear 1 sub 1 center)

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...logitech+x-540

It was on sale for 60$.. best bang for the buck so I figured... why not?

The sound is amazing.. when it works..

Thing is im using the onboard audio integrated card from gigabyte (ma790x-ud4p) wich comes with realtek drivers/program.

Realtek is stupid. It will not detect my rear speakers in the 5.1 mode. I found alot of infos on google of people having the same issue. The only way to "fix" it (because its not really fixing) is to set the audio to a 8channel mode (8 speakers), i only have 5 speakers tho so im losing audio on 3 sides/speakers.

This is very annoying.

The audio never works properly in call of duty 4 (even with 5.1 enabled, some audio track are missing) or even an old game like starcraft. I need to constanly switch the audio channels... and it never even works like it should be.

I had a z-540 4.1 system before and it was working perfectly...

So, I was wondering what would be the best thing to do to get the best audio possible?
I want great sound, and I want to know from wich side I'll be attacked :P

Should I buy a sound card/can a soundcard with better drivers fix that issue?
Should I RMA the system and buy another one/wich one should i pick?
Is there a way to somehow change the rear speakers to side speakers by changing a piece a wire or something?
Any other idea??

Any suggestions are welcome

thank you
Old April 28, 2009, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

its windows that won't see anything above 2 channel

5.1 is only 2 channel stream no matter what you use only front an sub work

current driver for onboard sound is 2009/03/10 r2.13 realtek

Uninstall previous drivers from the uninstall programs section of the control panel, then go to system.
Device manager, system devices, disable UAA High Deff etc etc.
Old April 28, 2009, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Windows Vista has removed DirectSound calls and unless the source you are listening to is actually encoded in 5.1 you won't get that.

You can check your audio settings if you have a "Surround Fill" option which will give you emulated surround in non 5.1 sound.

And to top it off everyone knows onboard audio is crap.

Invest in a decent sound card for $80
Old April 28, 2009, 02:28 PM
Rookie

The most current drivers are 2.22 maybe you could install them if you haven't already.
Realtek HD Audio 2.22 Driver download from Guru3D.com
Old April 28, 2009, 03:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Set speaker fill on and then goto your equlizers and turn on "powerfull" that was the best I could get my realtek to sound but its really not bad and any of the games ive been playing sound full 5.1 to me. Theres no way these chips will sound anything like an $80 X-Fi like Geo said, they just dont have the hardware/software to do it =( Just dont get an xtremeaudio...

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old April 28, 2009, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

HT Omega Striker is one of the best most inexpensive cards on the market.
Old April 28, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Are they really that god enaberif? I havent heard anything about them as I only pay attention to Creative/azuntek but I was curious as to how those cards handled.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old April 28, 2009, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Are they really that god enaberif? I havent heard anything about them as I only pay attention to Creative/azuntek but I was curious as to how those cards handled.
The HT Omega Striker is pretty much on par with the Auzentech Xplosion. They are pretty much identical cards with a few things separating them.
Old April 28, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
And to top it off everyone knows onboard audio is crap.
Well I wonder about that. Is it really worth that 60-80 bucks or so for most people? I have the onboard Realtek audio on my mobo and really I have no issues with it.

I have it feeding my basic 2 speaker setup on my computer desk and then it also feeds over digital coax to my receiver for when I am watching movies and such. It sounds perfectly good to me.

Hell I can have it feeding a high quality DTS feed to my receiver while at the same time feeding other music/games/sounds to my desktop speakers and it never has any issues.

I get wanting the sound card for audiophiles and actually working with music, but if you are not then I just don't see it being worth it.

Old April 28, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If you want to run 5.1 for full imersion when gaming its deffinetly worth it, onboard realteks just dont compare to the full EAX 5.1 suround alot of games offer. Theres a big difference between running a digital feed to your reciever that runs its own suround sound encoding vs having PC speakers that dont. Chances are your receiver is taking the stream from your realtek and turning it into suround sound on its own, using dolby or THX. I know thats what my reciever does with any digital source.