Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   hard drive problem (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/17046-hard-drive-problem.html)

Defiant April 19, 2009 06:31 PM

hard drive problem

so i have a seagate barracuda 7200.11 1tb hard drive and for some reason one day i powered my computer up and now it is not being detected. my hard drive does powerup and spin. i have tried using different connections no go and i have tried it in another computer... no go and then i took the hard drive from my parents computer and it works in my desktop so i am pretty sure it is not my motherboard. so im wondering if it is done for and i have to send it in or is there some way i can save it.

dataxpert April 19, 2009 06:39 PM

Is it a ST31000340AS with firmware SD15 , Seagate have a lot of problem with this HD suddenly disappearing in the BIOS , ( it's like a BIOS in the HD )

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p>Go to that link and update the firmware </o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>Seagate Knowledge Base</o:p>

Defiant April 19, 2009 06:48 PM

yes it is and thank you very much and is there anyway possilbe of getting the data on it back?

dataxpert April 19, 2009 06:49 PM

Check I edit my post , you can fix it your self

Defiant April 19, 2009 07:12 PM

thank you very much i will try that cause i really dont feel like ram'ing it

enaberif April 19, 2009 07:15 PM

Nothing says its this at all.

Have you tried other sata cables?
Perhaps another port on the motherboard?
Try the drive in another computer?

Just cause you have this firmware means nothing. I have 2 drives with that firmware and they are fine.

dataxpert April 19, 2009 07:36 PM

Soon or latter it will happen.... the problem is, you have to do the update before it's happen, because many have report a failure to update the disk due to the lock in busy state.

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 181806)
Just cause you have this firmware means nothing. I have 2 drives with that firmware and they are fine.

enaberif April 19, 2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataxpert (Post 181826)
Soon or latter it will happen.... the problem is, you have to do the update before it's happen, because many have report a failure to update the disk due to the lock in busy state.

Wrong it does not happen sooner than later. Just because the firmware is there does not mean you are going to have it happen. Its mostly when you BOUGHT the drive that will matter.

dataxpert April 19, 2009 07:42 PM

Many people have report than the update do not work , but some have report also they was abble to detect it in an other PC, and after made the update in the other PC return the HD in the original PC and all the data was there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defiant (Post 181803)
thank you very much i will try that cause i really dont feel like ram'ing it

Defiant April 19, 2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 181806)
Nothing says its this at all.

Have you tried other sata cables?(1)
Perhaps another port on the motherboard?(2)
Try the drive in another computer?(3)

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
so i tried doing the firmware update and it says it does not detect the expected st310034as and when i get it to scan for any sata device it does not detect it.