Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2009, 03:54 PM
MVP

Default random crashes - video or powersupply?

Hello to all:
One of my computers: (e6850, MSI P7N vanilla, OCZ Vendetta2, WD 640, visiontek 4870, xfinity 600 sli psu, 4GB Mushkin 6400, Win 7 beta ultimate 32)

Has been having random crashes, and in various configurations. When it had all of the above gear in it and Vista Ultimate 64 with a 9800gtx+, it did the same thing.

What happens is: I'll be gaming or surfing along, and all of a sudden, no video. The computer fans are merrily turning away, and it seems to be running, but my monitor indicates no signal. Heat temps are normal - 50 - 60 degrees.

Tried: a different video card. Went from the XFX 9800GTX+ to a visiontek 4870, clean install of Vista Ult 64. Same deal. Then: Dumped Vista and clean install of Windows 7 Ult 32. Same deal.

So now, is it maybe the power supply? Could it be a mobo issue? I've built three or four gamers before and never had these issues. In it's original config with vista and the 9800GTX+, it did run trouble free for about 3 months.

Any advice gratefully accepted, and thanks in advance.
Old April 17, 2009, 03:59 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

It might be the power supply.... however in my experience, when a PSU is dying you'll have a full-out crash and/or random rebooting instead of just loosing signal on the monitor. I'd suggest trying a different monitor for your system, then trying your system in a different monitor. Lemme know the results!
Old April 17, 2009, 04:05 PM
MVP

Thank you CMetaphor. I did forget to mention that I am on a brand new monitor, the 22 inch Dell. I had the same problems with my Sammy 22 - it is a 2253? 2243? anyway, it is only a year old as well and is now on another machine, so I ruled out monitor - at least I think I did what with 2 different monitors and same problem.
Old April 17, 2009, 04:19 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Well, by process of elimination then... Since the monitor is new and you've had the same issue on another one, and you've also tried a different video card... All that's left is to try a different PCIe x16 slot or a different motherboard altogether.

Edit: Try a different PSU too just for kicks. Its possible the safeties in the PSU are kicking in because the 12v rail cant provide enough current to the video card. Just an idea...
Old April 17, 2009, 06:34 PM
MVP

Good point, I have been using the same slot for the card all along. I have now changed to the next slot - both are x16 slots - and so now we can see. I have a couple of hours of gaming in with no problems yet. Fingers are Xed!
Old April 17, 2009, 06:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Don't forget the easy swap and try swapping in some different memory. Probably not the issue, but for the time it takes it's worth the effort.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 17, 2009, 06:53 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadzilla View Post
Good point, I have been using the same slot for the card all along. I have now changed to the next slot - both are x16 slots - and so now we can see. I have a couple of hours of gaming in with no problems yet. Fingers are Xed!
Let us know if it stays that way... It wouldnt be the first time i've seen a dead x16 slot on a motherboard.
Old April 17, 2009, 09:57 PM
MVP

Looks good so far, with about 5 hours of run time since the switch to the other slot. I would have never thought that, because the board is only about a year old. But so far, it seems to be making the difference. I'll update after a few days of use - and thanks!
Old April 18, 2009, 01:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

looks to be a dirty slot ;) or tired contacts making poor connection with changing slots to stronger pins
Old April 18, 2009, 02:29 PM
MVP

Sadly, I just got the same crash only seconds after boot up this AM. - So now Maybe I need to check again for bios updates? I dunno.