Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2009, 03:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Vista disc refuses to work on an old rig

So I've recently decided to make use of my very old rig, so that friends can come over and play LAN games without having to bring their computers. I decided to start off by installing Vista, but the disc refuses to do anything.

Here are the specs of the computer:
Asus P4B266-C
Intel Northwood 2.0 Ghz
1.5 GB RAM
Radeon 8500 series
22x DVD-Rom
40 GB HDD

I've tried putting other DVDs into the DVD drive, and everything works fine (movies and games), but just not the Vista disc. I've also tried running the Vista 32 bit disc on both my current rig, and another computer, and it works fine on both. So it seems like the DVD drive has no problem, the disc itself has no problem, and the old rig meets the requirements for Vista (though probably not Aero). Anyone know what might be the problem?

Old April 13, 2009, 03:48 PM
MVP

Double check boot from CD in the BIOS?

And I feel sorry for that computer for having to run Vista.
Old April 13, 2009, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post
So I've recently decided to make use of my very old rig, so that friends can come over and play LAN games without having to bring their computers. I decided to start off by installing Vista, but the disc refuses to do anything.

Here are the specs of the computer:
Asus P4B266-C
Intel Northwood 2.0 Ghz
1.5 GB RAM
Radeon 8500 series
22x DVD-Rom
40 GB HDD

I've tried putting other DVDs into the DVD drive, and everything works fine (movies and games), but just not the Vista disc. I've also tried running the Vista 32 bit disc on both my current rig, and another computer, and it works fine on both. So it seems like the DVD drive has no problem, the disc itself has no problem, and the old rig meets the requirements for Vista (though probably not Aero). Anyone know what might be the problem?
On that computer I wouldn't be putting Vista at all I'd only be putting XP Home on it. Vista is really to much for that older system considering it only has a 40gb hdd which Vista will eat a good 70% of alone.

Oh and why doesn't it work?

Are you 100% sure its a dvd-rom? Because I've never seen a 22x dvd-rom and its probably a 22x cd-rom which means it won't read the disc.
Old April 13, 2009, 04:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_hawk View Post
Double check boot from CD in the BIOS?

And I feel sorry for that computer for having to run Vista.
Yeah I've made sure the DVD drive is the first to boot. And it's not only a problem with the disc refusing to boot. Even when I get into the operating system it's running, the disc refuses to be read. Instead my DVD drive makes periodic weird noises, as if the disc is really scratched up or something, yet the disc is perfectly fine, and works on every other computer I've tested it on.

Vista will eat up 15 out of the 40 GBs, so that's almost 40% of the hard drive, but I only really plan on installing Warcraft III for DotA, and maybe a few other old games on the computer so I should be fine. XP looks really ugly to me so if possible I would much rather run Vista on the system.

I'm absolutely sure it's a DVD Rom since it plays my DVD movies and DVD games fine. I might be mistaken on the 22x though.

Old April 13, 2009, 04:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
On that computer I wouldn't be putting Vista at all I'd only be putting XP Home on it. Vista is really to much for that older system considering it only has a 40gb hdd which Vista will eat a good 70% of alone.

Oh and why doesn't it work?

Are you 100% sure its a dvd-rom? Because I've never seen a 22x dvd-rom and its probably a 22x cd-rom which means it won't read the disc.
+1 Sharp eyes ebanerif!!!! :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 13, 2009, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I'm absolutely sure it's a DVD Rom since it plays my DVD movies and DVD games fine. I might be mistaken on the 22x though.
Whats the make and model?

It may not be able to read all dvd media.
Old April 13, 2009, 04:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
XP looks really ugly to me so if possible I would much rather run Vista on the system.
And you like Vista without Aero? I'm pretty sure that Radeon 8500 won't be running it.

Best off just skinning XP IMO. Vista will run absolutely terrible on that system.
Old April 13, 2009, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I also vote that there is no way I would even dream on running Vista on that PC. It is gonna choke badly with those specs.

Vista will network with a XP machine just fine just so you know.

As jdrom17 said, Vista without Aero is just as hideous as XP.
Old April 13, 2009, 04:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Whats the make and model?

It may not be able to read all dvd media.
I have no idea what make and model it is, there are no easily visible labels or logos on it.

And yes, I'm aware of the fact that the machine will probably have a hard time running Vista but I still want to give it a shot. Any other ideas?

Old April 13, 2009, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I have no idea what make and model it is, there are no easily visible labels or logos on it.

And yes, I'm aware of the fact that the machine will probably have a hard time running Vista but I still want to give it a shot. Any other ideas?
I'm going to say its either one of two things:

1) The drive
2) The computer telling you to stop trying to kill it.