Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   iPod from the deep. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/16776-ipod-deep.html)

MacJunky April 12, 2009 05:31 PM

iPod from the deep.

Some text from an IRC channel:
[Oel_AAO] I was up near Nelson yesterday and my dad gave me a 5th gen 30GB iPod that he had found in the lake. We assume that since the water is low now, it had fallen out of a pocket last fall when there was a higher water level and the owner thought it was too deep to retrieve or they assumed it was dead as soon as it hit the water.
[Oel_AAO] Either way, I now have an iPod
[Oel_AAO] earlier today I took it apart and cleaned the connectors and PCBs but it still does not work
[dixon] Hard drive?
[Oel_AAO] It is getting power from the main power/data connector but displays no sign of life and does not short out my USB ports so it looks like an IC is dead
[Oel_AAO] that is understandable though, it had been in water all winter and was fairly rusty
[dixon] eBay it?
[Oel_AAO] naw, it does not work at all and the HDD probably got filled with water and ruined
[Oel_AAO] it is not recognized by iTunes or windows and the display+backlight stays off
[Oel_AAO] one possibility is that the hold switch got rust in it bridging the connections in it or something and that prevents me from turning it on
[Oel_AAO] but I do not know if the hold switch is supposed to be making contact to disable the buttons or if it is not supposed to make a connection to disable the buttons
[Oel_AAO] *shrug*
[Oel_AAO] I knew my chances of making it work were extremely slim before I accepted it but I wanted to try anyway.

Anyone here have anything to say about this?
Next time I have it open I hope to remember to check the hold switch in both positions with a meter.

Yes, I understand that this iPod will most likely never work again.
Yes, I know that my attempts will most likely be futile.
Yes, I know that I have in the past displayed a dislike of iPods.
Yes, I am aware that even if the iPod itself can be made to work the battery and HDD are most likely gone anyway.

I want to try just because I can try.
If it works, great. If not, then oh well no loss.

enaberif April 12, 2009 05:34 PM

Nelson BC!

I love that place.

Sorry can't help you.

KaptCrunch April 12, 2009 07:55 PM

stick it in oven near top level shevle an turn dial just the element comes on an stop

leave HDD an circuit board to dry out for 3 hours

the silica still wet inside

MacJunky April 12, 2009 09:17 PM

I am 99.9% certain that it is not still wet(I have washed old mobos before so I am not new to the concept of water remaining under low components). However, to humour the idea, I shall make an effort to dry it out.

KaptCrunch April 13, 2009 04:19 AM

making MacCrunch toast

In the pass i've gotten a MB HDD wet from failed latex tubing washed and dried MB HDD with that prossess an MB worked but the HDD didn't but 6 months later were fine