Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   External hdd Detection Issue (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/16372-external-hdd-detection-issue.html)

Supergrover March 31, 2009 09:37 AM

External hdd Detection Issue

Okay installed a new mobo lastnight, installed vista 32bit, install went fine. Heres the prob I have a external usb and external esata hdd both are detected in the bios the vista drive is set as primary boot hdd. Now if I power either of them up and boot it system hangs just past the windows progress bar.
If I dont power them up everything boots fine into windows but if I power them up IN windows nothing, no detection, it is like the OS doesnt even realize they have been powered up.

Mobo is a Jetway jha-07-ultra Jetway - Tech.On The Move - Motherboard - HA07-Ultra

orczwrath March 31, 2009 10:38 AM

Check your boot settings. It must be that it is set to boot on another drive, thus it can't read the OS. Try pressing F8 or F2 to check.

chrisk March 31, 2009 10:44 AM

You try the external drive in another computer?

KaptCrunch March 31, 2009 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
MANUAL.zip in pdf page 25, 28

del key to enter bios

go to go avance bios futures

set boot drive priority

also can enbale or disable "Boot Other Devices"<DEL><DEL>
</DEL></DEL>

Supergrover March 31, 2009 11:43 AM

Yes it is setup as the bootdrive in bios.

Yes Chris they work on my laptop.

I know del to enter bios .lol

Mr. Gruntsworthy March 31, 2009 12:16 PM

Perhaps something's wrong with the motherboard drivers? If you haven't already, why don't you try locating the latest drivers for the motherboard on the company's website?

Never heard of Jetway before.

Supergrover March 31, 2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Gruntsworthy (Post 172363)
Perhaps something's wrong with the motherboard drivers? If you haven't already, why don't you try locating the latest drivers for the motherboard on the company's website?

Never heard of Jetway before.

Done that too. Hmmm

chrisk March 31, 2009 01:05 PM

Boot up the machine, then turn on/connect the drives, and go to Disk Management..can you see them in there? I am just wondering if Vista does not like the partition or something. I know Vista tried to scan disks when first plugged in, and perhaps there is some issue there.

Supergrover March 31, 2009 01:36 PM

Okay pulled the drives from the vantec nexstar enclosers and installed them in a dualbay JOBD/BIG encloser I have kicking around, It's USB though, and fired up NP.

Tried every combo you could think of Chris but I am thinking the issue lies in the vantec's.

I'll give it another go once I get this board setup since I dont realy want to be stuck on USB.

chrisk March 31, 2009 01:48 PM

I agree...if Vista sees em in the other USB enclosure then its not a partition / Vista issue, unless Vista had some issue with a 'bridge' driver or something.