Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14, 2007, 12:46 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Whoah, things will be totally different by the end of the year. By then you will probably want a DDR3 system. DDR2 will be expensive again, new series of GPU will probably be out, new chips coming from intel and amd, price drops, price increases, etc etc.
Old June 14, 2007, 01:11 PM
Top Prospect

Why is DDR2 gonna be expensive again? Isn't it the other way around when more DDR3 is introduced? And since all I want is DX10 compatible graphic card, when GeForce 9 series come out in the end of the year, I will gladly buy 8800s with better psu at budgeted price.
Old June 14, 2007, 02:54 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

It's super cheap now because of high supply and chip accessibility. Chip manus have already started cutting DDR2 ic production. Once RAM manus move production to DDR3 in full force supply will drop big time and prices ^^. Similar to what happened to DDR1 when everyone moved to DDR2, its double DDR2 prices these days.

Who knows whats in the cards 6 months from now though, either way you will get a better system cheaper.
Old June 14, 2007, 04:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah- a complete waste of time to shop for a computer you're going to buy 5 months later!!!!
Old June 14, 2007, 04:59 PM
Top Prospect

What I know for sure that these are new things coming in Q3 and Q4 of 2007:

Intel Core 2 Duo 6540~6850 series at $200+
GeForce 9 series
More stable DDR3 RAM
More stable DDR3 Mobo
Windows Vista Service Pack 1
DX10 compatible games

New cpus are no problem since these are just extened versions between 6420 and 6800. GeForce 9 series won't effect my decision to choose 8 series as well because both series are compatible with DX10. I would love to choose soon-to-be cheaper 8800s or 2900xt over 9 series.

Now for DDR3 RAM and mobo... well, DDR3 mobos are already cheap enough so that's no problem if I need to change my thoughts, but I do have some doubts about price changes for DDR3 RAM. I guess we gotta sit and wait.

Thanks for your valuable advices though. I will update my article time to time whenever there are new products or major price drops.

Last edited by mrlie3; June 14, 2007 at 05:04 PM.