Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19, 2009, 10:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default X58 / I7 Cold Boot Issue

Hey guys,
well this has been an ongoing problem for me for the past month and a half, almost since getting the new I7 Rig. Has been discussed thoroughly on the Evga Web Site. Computer power on then off right away : SOLVED
When the my Rig has been "powered off" for a few hours to overnight and I go to power up, it will not Boot or Post properly.
This problem is completely intermittent.
1. Depress Power button on front of Rig, Fans spin up, LED's on Optical Drives blink, leds on Mobo are lit, but the HD and Power indicating LED's on the front of the Case do not lite up, at this point without the power LED lit up on the front of the Case I know it will not Post.
To correct:
- Sometimes depressing the "reset" button will result in normal power up and Post, sometimes it will not.
- Sometimes powering off on the power switch on the front of the case and powering up again will result in a proper power up and Post, sometimes it won't.
- In the event that none of the above works, it will guarentee to power up and post properly provided I swirch off power to the Mobo via the PSU switch for about 5 sec, then power on at the PSU switch and power on at the front of the case.

1. the problem is completely intermittent, sometimes it will power up fine, but mstly the problem will occur when it has been powered down for a period of time.
2. If I shut down and power up right away it will usually power up and post fine.
3. Problem occurs when the CPU is at Stock or OC'd
4. With a 3.8 Ghz OC a battery of Stress Tests were conducted with no errors, either P95 Blended or LinX Max Memory 30 passes.
5. Idle Temps with OC 35 - 38C Load temps 67 - 72C
6. all wiring, cables and Mobo have been triple checked for seating and possible shorts, however, once the rig is powered up and running it is solid, no BSOD, CTD's or freezes errors...runs great!
7. Flashed to latest BIOS SZ21

At this point, Corsair says its likely the Mobo or the one of the GPU's and evga says its likely the PSU.
I have tested the GPU's in my 2nd rig, they are solid and perform admirably in this Rig when they are running and I'm gaming. Problem occurs whether the GPU's are at Stock speeds or OC'd.

with all that said I'm not sure which it could be, the damn Rig runs great once it is powered up n running!! I'm holding my breath right now everytime I depress the power button on the front of the rig..

Anyhow, I figured its easiest to start with the easiest thing to replace first, that is the PSU, so I'll be RMA'ing my Corsair HX 1kw tomorrow and by the time I get back from work in a month it will be here to try out. I leave for work on Monday so will be out of town for the next month.
In the event that the problem continues when I install the new PSU, i'll be looking at the board. I'll have to avenues I could take, either RMA the board or continue with my Step up to the classified......croos that Bridge if the time comes.
Although I have not ran the Memory Sticks through Memtest, i am confident that the memory is fine as I said earlier, with memory running at 1600 Mhz the Rig is solid while Benching and testing......

Its all about that initial fraction of a second when it first powers up...sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't....leaning towards a PSU problem at this time....we'll see.
I haven't come to you guys with this "issue / problem" as I figured thier were enough X58 folks on the evga Web Site to help out, but if any of you guys have some input I'm all ears!!!
FYI, their have been others on the Evga Web Site with similar problems.

Anyhow, hopefully i'll get this ironed out over the next few months...too bad I have to go back to work right away....damn work anyways..intereferes will all the fun

Old March 20, 2009, 04:19 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

If the chip is oc'ed. does it keep its settings after the cold boot fail? It could be a dead onboard battery.
Old March 20, 2009, 06:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Question had you kept your HDD info of old previous OS set-up on 1 of the HDD

I'd take off the data you want from old HDD then format.

i had the same thing happening here its was windows vista would go into sleep mode an not wake up. turned off any power scheme option mouse/keyboard

also i divided up the power cables better to HDD's (running 5 HDD 4 from old set-up 32 an 64bit OS's) from PSU
Old March 20, 2009, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
If the chip is oc'ed. does it keep its settings after the cold boot fail? It could be a dead onboard battery.
Yes, after a Cold Boot Fail and a successful power up by either repeatedly going through the power on / off sequence or switching off power to the PSU for 5 sec, then powering up it will always maintain the OC settings and things will run like a dream. Note: This Cold Boot issue only occurs if the Rig is powered down for a long period of time (2hrs to overnight), if power off and power on again within an hour or so it will not have the issue.
Quote:
Question had you kept your HDD info of old previous OS set-up on 1 of the HDD

I'd take off the data you want from old HDD then format.

i had the same thing happening here its was windows vista would go into sleep mode an not wake up. turned off any power scheme option mouse/keyboard
I cannot see that this is an OS problem as this occurs prior to the Post. All Power Schemes are disabled.
Onboard BIOS S3 Sleep Mode works by waking things up the next day with the Keyboard, however, this method resulted in "downclocking" my OC settings, not to Stock speeds, but from 3.8 Ghz to 3.6 Ghz, but thier are ongoing issues with the Evga X58 S3 Sleep Mode, particularly when the Bclk is set to Bclk 180+

Quote:
also i divided up the power cables better to HDD's (running 5 HDD 4 from old set-up 32 an 64bit OS's) from PSU
On the Corsair HX 1kw
- 1 Modular SATA power cable running 2 Hard Drives
- 1 Modular SATA power cable running 2 Optical Drives
- 1 each dedicated PCI-E cables running each GTX 280
- 3 Case Fans plugged directly into the Mobo
- 2 Case Fans plugged into 2 Modular Molex Cables

Old March 20, 2009, 09:58 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

If it keeps the oc settings, it ain't the battery nor the oc itself. Otherwise, the settings would no tbe kept and the BIOS would revert to stock settings.

It's definitely power related: either PSU or board.
Old March 20, 2009, 10:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd try taking out one of your GPU's to see if the problem persists. If it persists with one card, I'd be thinking mobo. If it works fine with only one card, I'd be thinking PSU.

Good luck.
Old March 20, 2009, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well guys...seeing as how I'm back to work Monday and would like to solve when I get home in a month:
1. PSU is being RMA's to Corsair today - should have a new one back when I get home.
2. Just so happens my Mobo Classified Step-up was approved this morning, will ship off the Mobo today - should have new Classified when I get home

Gotta love it eh?!

Old March 20, 2009, 11:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Problem solved, thread closed, huh?

Nice.
Old March 20, 2009, 03:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Problem solved, thread closed, huh?
Geez I sure hope so Sugar....was actually thinking of saying "f_ck it" when it came to Stepping up to the Classified, but I have "visions" of coming home. installing the new PSU and having the same "issue"...so to hell with it, just so happened the "Step up" approval was emailed to me this AM....besides, I think the cooling is far better on the Northbridge with these ne Boards.
But definitley expensive, in all with the step up the Board cost me:
1. Original X58 $300 CDN
2. Step up $200 CDN
3. Shipping $35 CDN

Total $535 CDN...for a Mobo ..ouch!....oh well..

Old March 21, 2009, 11:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

For what it's worth, I had the exact same cold boot problem awhile back (albeit, with a totally different MB/CPU). I tried everything I could think of...the problem was eventually solved when I switched out my Crucial Ballistix Tracer RAM for two sticks of Mushkin...hasn't reappeared since.