Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default USB Blew up my comp?

Haha I am at a loss here. Moved my whole computer over to a different case tonight.

It booted no problem; then I was checking to see if my front panel usb ports worked...

they didn't seem to for some reason... even though I know it was plugged in correctly (it's easy right?) haha

then after a few second of plugging a pair of usb headphones into the front panel the machine shuts off and will not even post now; the display just flickers and nothing happens.. I can hear the HDD spin up almost as though it starts to boot... but I'm not getting any post error sounds at all.

Ideas?

I don't really have any hardware i can swap with for this system right now...

I have tried different psu's and no go...
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 19, 2009, 07:03 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

My guess is you reset cmos already? Fact that it booted and then shut down on you is not good...
Fold for team #54196
Old March 19, 2009, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I had almost the same thing happen to an old athlon XP 2400 system I had, I never managed to fix it =( Ive had similar problems with USB devices on boot up before but once the usb device was unplugged it worked fine again right after. Try reseting your CMOS?

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old March 19, 2009, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've reset it a few times, no go. I just stuck the video card in an old asus p5nd2 sli i had laying around with an hdd etc and it wouldnt boot; but that mobo was on the fritz anyways and i'm not positive it worked at all... so i can't say for certain right now... it's looking like mobo
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 19, 2009, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

took everything out of the case; reseated the heatsink; stuck it on a box and tried booting it that way - with a dif psu - nothing, does the exact same thing.
Old March 19, 2009, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've managed to change out every part; except mobo and video card... grrrr same exact results with everything... could the mobo have fried?
Old March 19, 2009, 08:12 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Sorry to say it encorp, but the mobo is fried. It happened to one of my clients recently, an old P4P800-E 478 board. He blew it through the southbridge of all things by having - get this: 4x external hard drives on the rear panel and ANOTHER 4x external hard drives on a USB Pci controller card. Southbridge has a black char on it, badly fried. I'll take a picture tomorrow if you wanna see.... for now, goodnight and my condolences.
Old March 19, 2009, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just need a different mobo now so i can test and see what other hardware is shot.... bah

now that you mention it; I vaguely remember a slight burning smell right after it happened but it didn't last long at all.. thought maybe my nose was tricking me...

dfgdgfgaga
Old March 19, 2009, 08:41 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

A usb header, even if one pin off to one side or another, can short out the southbridge = burning = dead mobo....
Old March 19, 2009, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
A usb header, even if one pin off to one side or another, can short out the southbridge = burning = dead mobo....

that is exactly what happened it seems....