Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2009, 12:02 AM
MVP

Default Disappearing OS?

Hello to all:
I have an intermittent problem that I thought was with my video card. Now I wonder if it could be the OS. Every now and then - about 8 days since the last time - I get a random quit. The computer is running, but the monitor goes black and acts as though there was no computer there. There are several threads about this being a 9800GTX problem - but could it be Vista just flaking out?

I wonder.
Old March 15, 2009, 07:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Does thw picture just disappear without the computer freezing up or restarting? If so, I'd definitely say a video problem. Check your cable first, of course, but it's likely the last driver update as other threads have discussed- some people had luck by turning off aero in vista, but I'd say that if the problem is not already fixed by driver, then it will be soon. See the thread below too.

BLACK SCREEN FIX - NVIDIA Forums

Last edited by Babrbarossa; March 15, 2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old March 15, 2009, 09:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

There is nothing wrong Vista. Why are people so quick to always pin stuff on Vista? It's a superior OS to XP and the only hardware issues people have been having are running low-end hardware and expecting it to run smoothly.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 Windforce | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old March 15, 2009, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
There is nothing wrong Vista. Why are people so quick to always pin stuff on Vista? It's a superior OS to XP and the only hardware issues people have been having are running low-end hardware and expecting it to run smoothly.
He's not smashing on Vista. He's wondering if the OS is causing this unfortunate problem. Vista is great, however it doesn't suit me. I'm sure dadzilla likes Vista as well. Let's not start another XP vs. Vista fight again.

Now, back to the problem. I had the same thing happen with my 8800GT last Winter. Turned out to be the card. I would try a different driver set or get some more airflow near your card. Also, try disabling some of the power saving settings in Vista.

Hope this helps.
Old March 16, 2009, 12:12 PM
MVP

Yes, I do like Vista and consider it to be better than XP actually. Furthermore, I wouldn't say my e6850, 4 gigs of ram, and GTX9800+ are low end - not top of the line certainly, but not trash either.
I just added the latest driver for the 9800gtx+ last night, but same problem today. Yuck. I think I might have to RMA this card. Plenty of airflow with two 120 fans in the case and a spot cool aimed right at it. Isn't the cable because I just switched monitors and cables. Now to see how XFX does on RMA I guess.
Old March 16, 2009, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadzilla View Post
Yes, I do like Vista and consider it to be better than XP actually. Furthermore, I wouldn't say my e6850, 4 gigs of ram, and GTX9800+ are low end - not top of the line certainly, but not trash either.
I just added the latest driver for the 9800gtx+ last night, but same problem today. Yuck. I think I might have to RMA this card. Plenty of airflow with two 120 fans in the case and a spot cool aimed right at it. Isn't the cable because I just switched monitors and cables. Now to see how XFX does on RMA I guess.
What about dusting off the card? Maybe dust is causing it to go into a safety mode.
Old March 16, 2009, 10:27 PM
MVP

Yes, I did try with some canned air - I've never tried to remove the case on one of these, so I just shot the air into the fan and then into the exhaust. Didn't seem to do much tho. I should maybe try that again before I give up. The frustrating part is that I love the card except for this one thing and it only happens maybe once every couple of days. But still....it is a defect and quite annoying.
Old March 16, 2009, 10:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree. It happened to me, but I dealt with it until I bought a new card and sold the old one. For some reason he never got the problem. Maybe it was because I cleaned it off really well before shipping it.