Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2009, 04:30 AM
Top Prospect

Default Blue Screen when Idle?

Greetings,

I've had my computer for a week now and twice I've gotten the blue screen when I wake up in the morning. The computer is idle during the night. Windows Solutions tells me that it's a problem with the hardware. It lists these items:

CPU, RAM, BOARD

When I use the computer, or run Prime95 or Folding@home, it runs perfectly with no crashes.

Anyone have experience with this? My system is OC to 3.0Ghz from 2.66Ghz. It's the Q9400 chip.

Anyone have this occur before?

J
Old March 12, 2009, 04:53 AM
Allstar

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxJ View Post
Greetings,

I've had my computer for a week now and twice I've gotten the blue screen when I wake up in the morning. The computer is idle during the night. Windows Solutions tells me that it's a problem with the hardware. It lists these items:

CPU, RAM, BOARD

When I use the computer, or run Prime95 or Folding@home, it runs perfectly with no crashes.

Anyone have experience with this? My system is OC to 3.0Ghz from 2.66Ghz. It's the Q9400 chip.

Anyone have this occur before?

J
Under control panel/system maintenance/view problem history...what does it say?
What mb, videocard, ram do you have?

CHEERS
Old March 12, 2009, 05:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

what happens if do restart?

is windows updates on auto? loads updates an hangs after restart?
Old March 12, 2009, 05:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

What Power Savings Mode is on with your HD's and OS ?
Find out and then change them to go into Power Savings in 5min and see if it BSOD's on you again.
I know that I chased a bug like that around with one build a while back.
There was one piece of hardware that didn't like it when the computer hibernated and it took me a while to figure it out.
Its a long shot, but that is what this sounds like to me,

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 12, 2009, 06:33 AM
Top Prospect

I have the AsusP5Q board, which has this EO-6 engine power saver function. I sometimes get a message that this won't run when the system is OCed.

J
Old March 12, 2009, 06:37 AM
Allstar

Well I would deactive that feature as well as AI and make sure you have the latest bios. I know that there were alot of problems with that board prior to bios revision 0801.

CHEERS
Old March 12, 2009, 09:18 AM
Top Prospect

I had installed the AI Software. to "monitor" everything. By disable, do you mean in the BIOS or in the AI software?

I'll check when I get home which version I have.

J
Old March 12, 2009, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

or....turn off your PC before you go to bed.
I am not a fan of:
1. Power saving features
2. Hybernation
3. Screen Savers

All of my PC's in the past have had nothing but issues when "waking" from Hybernation. I haven't even attempted and won't bother to run these modes with my new Rigs...

Firestrike Extreme: 21.452
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14167916
MARK 11: 32.530
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12496075

Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

Old March 12, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I agree with RJ, either shut it down or disable all those features and turn off your monitor, I just dont like the idea of software controlling my systems power in that sort of way. I have also had alot of problems with coming out of hybernation and id much rather just run my PC all night as is with the monitor turned off, I normally do anyhow since its usualy doing something during the night. At night it pulls about 180watts out of the wall while its doing something, which is like me leaving 2 lights on in this house but its actually being productive lol.
Old March 12, 2009, 04:31 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
or....turn off your PC before you go to bed.
I am not a fan of:
1. Power saving features
2. Hybernation
3. Screen Savers

All of my PC's in the past have had nothing but issues when "waking" from Hybernation. I haven't even attempted and won't bother to run these modes with my new Rigs...
Same here I do none of that either
only have the display monitor go off after 10 minutes wiggling the mouse brings it right back up.

If the system is on.

Oh I do have the cpu throtle down on C1E setting

I have a P5Q motherboard and it great so far.

No issues to date yet.

I personally wouldn't spend hundreds on a heavily depreciable product like these computers.

Buying an expensive motherbooard is pretty much a waste now on 775 stuff anyways In my opinion 'cause new stuff churning out.
Even ddr2 will go kaput in a bit.
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel SSD
Win 10 Pro x64