Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2009, 07:39 AM
Top Prospect

I turned off all the power saving settings and the sleep mode in windows and everything seems to be in order now. I might just turn off the computer overnight now but the crashes are not happening.

J
Old March 14, 2009, 08:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyreman View Post
Buying an expensive motherbooard is pretty much a waste now on 775 stuff anyways In my opinion 'cause new stuff churning out.
Even ddr2 will go kaput in a bit.
No and No.

Socket 775 and DDR2 have a long ways to go before they are dead. People aren't buy into i7 THAT much.

But yes.. Just turn your monitor off and don't use power savings.. its known that Vista can have issues with it.
Old March 14, 2009, 11:32 AM
MVP

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
No and No.

Socket 775 and DDR2 have a long ways to go before they are dead. People aren't buy into i7 THAT much.

But yes.. Just turn your monitor off and don't use power savings.. its known that Vista can have issues with it.

Well I'm speaking to the new trends not necessarily what I would do

While I myself will stay 775 for now, lots of the young set won't be

And thats the consuming computer parts market of today!!

You can be in denial but they are going to the newest technology

When I just got this P5Q going my son was on my tail about not spending much on it
He explained why i7 was an improvement

They tend to drive a lot of the market today more so than the baby boomers\zoomers .... their parents, in regards to computer stuff anyway.

They live at home longer, having more slack\disposible income and it goes to computer stuff

The kids of today are going to the i7, granted not all but enough.

Even my one kid has money away for it(he works, attends school)and will be changing over in a bit

He already with his friends has state of the quad Intel stuff and super graphics cards
These kids also seem to know the flaws in equipment and builds, chipsets
What works best and what doesn't

Actually some of the equipment the adults have,including mine, is paltry in comparison.
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Last edited by tyreman; March 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old March 14, 2009, 02:21 PM
Top Prospect

A while ago, maybe 2 months, I read an article that talked about the i7 not looking like it would "take over" the market for another 2 years. He made some good points. For example, the level of CPU is so advanced now that general users don't see the advantage in getting higher priced processors, some of them at least double of what they would require. Unless you're into gaming or some serious graphic work (not just a little Photoshop here and there. I'm talking 3 day rendering scenes on MAX or Maya), going to an i7 system (which also requires a MUCH more expensive MOBO) is not worth it for 90% of the buyers.

If you look in department stores and sellers like DELL, they're still catching up to the C2D quads, and only the "higher" end models have them. Consumer research shows that the majority of computers bought are in the 500 -800$ range, often including a keyboard and monitor.

Unless they can drastically reduce the price of an i7 system (not just the chip), its dominance of the market is at least a few years off.

I'm doing CAD and Adobe work at a professional level and my Q9400 is probably much faster than what I require - there is never any delay in actual working time. The only difference I'm noticing now is rendering times.

Again, it's a completely different story when it comes to gaming, but the majority of the computers out there are not used for gaming.

So for now, and the next 2 years, I'm happy with my socket 775 system and my Q9400 for 900$ (Including a Vendetta 2 and 600W power supply). I could TRIPLE the processing power and wouldn't notice it on a day to day basis.

It seems that the concept of VALUE is being lost on a lot of computer enthusiasts these days. Are we defined by the machines we have or the work we create?

Cheers!

J

Last edited by HalifaxJ; March 14, 2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old March 16, 2009, 03:13 AM
MVP

Oh I wouldn't run right out and buy it either, but thats me

All the those prices come down, they have on everything previous in computer land. Always high at first.

A slow economy(weak buying)may slow it down more than anything else

In the end because you and I don't buy into new tech as quick doesn't mean others won't

The younger set market now is quite large.

In fact you see a lot of equipment here,for one example, bought and sold.
So they can't be only ones changing equipment either
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Last edited by tyreman; March 16, 2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old March 16, 2009, 05:31 AM
Top Prospect

Have you tried different memory? If not can you borrow ir get a hold of a few sticks to try?

I have seen this many times way back in the Pentium era, chips have bad solder joints that act liek cold joints. When a system is at idle, and especially after a heavy use where they would heat up, the memory would fail causing a blue screen or full system hang.

If you have 4 sticks, pull two, test it and replace the other two. Do not worry about memtest, it wouldn't test bad. The issue could be if this is the cause, bad solder joints.

Just an idea,

Good luck!!

Corsair 600T White
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene
Intel i7-2600K w/Corsair H100
16GB Gskill DDR3 2400MHz
AMD R9 290X
OCZ Revo 3 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
WD Velocirapter 600GB
LG DVD burner
LG Bluray Burner