Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2009, 01:55 AM
Top Prospect

Default Can not boot or enter BIOS

This time, it's my sister's computer I am having trouble with. The computer has recently sat unused since the last time I did any troubleshooting with it, so, I'm not sure what may have happened to cause it to cease working.

Anyhow, as far as I can tell without being at the computer to open it up again, I believe the motherboard is an ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX. 768MB of RAM - I am pretty sure the RAM is not the problem after swapping sticks back and forth. I believe the processor is a Sempron 3000 - once again, I don't really think the processor is likely the problem. I have tried POSTing using both the old GeForce card that was installed, and the onboard video, both have the same problem.

Anyhow - the computer will get as far prompting you to press F2 to enter the setup menu or F11 to enter the boot menu, but will not respond to either - it just sits at that screen idling. However, if you press either F2 or F11 before the BIOS reaches that point, it will report that it is entering the corresponding menu - but once again, sit and idle.

My best guess is the BIOS is corrupted, and thus the old board has essentially given up the ghost... anyone else have any insights?

Thanks in advance,
Bryan
Old March 10, 2009, 02:23 AM
Top Prospect

Are all your drives connected ok? I was having a similar problem and one of my HDD cables was not connected all the way. I would start by making sure all the hardware is connected properly.
CPU:Core i7 920 (Batch#3841A)
RAM:6BG Aeneon DDR3-1866MHz
GPU:EVGA GTX 285
DATA HDD:Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black (x2 soon)
OPTICAL:LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray
PSU:Corsair HX1000W Modular
WATERBLOCK:???
RES:Swiftech
PUMP:Swiftech MCP655
Display: Sony 40" w series 1080p + Dell 2209WA
Old March 10, 2009, 03:29 AM
Top Prospect

They were connected properly, but I disconnected them in one of my boot attempts so I could boot with no hardware connected.

The only change made to the computer since its last successful boot was adding a video card - the first thing I did was remove that card to boot without it (with the onboard video)... it may have been jarred or bumped since that successful boot, otherwise, I'm not sure what could have happened to it.
Old March 10, 2009, 06:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

battery or memory is where i would start
Old March 10, 2009, 06:20 AM
Top Prospect

Short of having another known-to-be-good battery or a tester available, is there any other way to test the battery? I don't believe memory should be an issue unless both sticks just died, but I'll play with them some more.
Old March 10, 2009, 06:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

only run one stick until you can get it to boot ( so you can figure out if it's ram or not)
Old March 10, 2009, 06:26 AM
Top Prospect

I'm pretty sure I already tried that... but... I am pretty sick right now, so I might be remembering wrong... doesn't hurt to try it again I guess.
Old March 10, 2009, 06:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

maplicito whats the MB marker and model version of MB

also who's bios? award or ami

i believe your right corrupt bios, current is
1.809/2/2005

can check left side of screen when boots hit pause key to read

info to flash

note do not backout looose power when programing prom if do it will render MB brain dead

Last edited by KaptCrunch; March 10, 2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old March 10, 2009, 06:33 AM
MVP

IF all else is okay
make sure of that first.
and its an Asus board then it might be possible to boot off a floppy and re do the Asus bios or off a key disc alt f2 then it finds it on the keydisc and redoes the bios

But I wouldn't do that unless you have a rough idea of where you are headed
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Old March 10, 2009, 06:40 AM
Top Prospect

It's an ASRock board, I'm pretty sure it was an AMI BIOS, but I won't be able to check it out for at least a few more hours. I'll update when I get access to the computer.

As to where I'm headed with it - the assumption is the computer is dead, so it's not like I can disappoint my sister any further by killing a dead computer - if I bring it back from the dead, she has something to hold her until such a time as (never?) she can afford to get a newer system.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. Today's a sick day, but I can't stand another day of staring at ceilings, so I'll be trying your advice out in a few hours.