Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2009, 12:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Swap similar motherboards

I want to swap the motherboard that's in my server with the one that's in my HTPC. My server has a A8N-E (nForce 4 Ultra) and my HTPC has a A8N32-SLI Deluxe (nForce 4 SLI x16). IMO my HTPC doesn't need such a high-end board plus I'd rather have dual gigabit NICs in my server. However at the time, it's just the way things ended up, but I want to change it now.

Now the issue is, I really, really, don't want to have to reinstall Server 2003 and hopefully not have to reactivate but I'm guessing I most likely will have to. Now, do I need to uninstall any drivers/remove any hardware from device manager before swapping motherboards?

Also would my software RAID (done in Server 2003) be lost too? It's just RAID1 though so I don't see how it would be an issue.
Old March 6, 2009, 01:35 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

No problems. Same chipset. I swapped my p5k with an evga x58 and had no troubles with any of the 5 OS's on my raid stripe.

I've even swapped mobo's with nvidia chipsets for Via etc...

Windows checks on startup and loads the correct drivers.
Old March 6, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

just boot in safe mode an remove old drivers for hardware on the first boot up on new stuff
Old March 6, 2009, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just switched from a Asus P5N-E with Nvidia chipset to a Gigabyte with a P45 Intel chipset and I didn't have to reinstall at all. I did have to reactivate Vista 64bit ultimate though, other wise it was pretty seamless.

I did have to boot into safe mode to remove the old chipset drivers, but I doubt you will have to do that since you are not changing chipsets.

Old March 6, 2009, 04:31 PM
Top Prospect

I'm going to be going from P35 to P45 soon; would I encounter the same problem of having to reinstall / reactivate Windows? Or can I just uninstall all drivers in safe mode + reinstall?
Old March 6, 2009, 04:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I did have to boot into safe mode to remove the old chipset drivers, but I doubt you will have to do that since you are not changing chipsets.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Still uses the same nForce 4 drivers so hopefully no issues arise.

My Server 2003 is from MSNDAA though so hopefully I can do more than one activation. If not I guess I'll just request another key.
Old March 6, 2009, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonee1230 View Post
I'm going to be going from P35 to P45 soon; would I encounter the same problem of having to reinstall / reactivate Windows? Or can I just uninstall all drivers in safe mode + reinstall?

Most likely you will only need to uninstall drivers and then reinstall. But if you have Vista it is designed to need reactivation after major hardware changes. It isn't a big deal if you have to reactivate.

That said mine did not activate properly over the internet (a first for me), so I just activated over the phone which was relatively painless and only took a few minutes.

Old March 10, 2009, 01:46 PM
MVP

Did a P5B to P5Q no trouble....I deleted the stuff in safe 1st.
"only" had activate again.
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Old March 11, 2009, 05:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Great Success!

Server is up and running happily though of course I had to re-activate. No biggie.