Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3, 2009, 06:47 PM
Rookie

Default New Build - Will Not Start - Help!

****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"> Hey,

Well I finally got everything together. Turned on the power, the Phase Led lights lit up quickly and then shut off, the CPU fan started for a second, then stopped.. Nothing would start…

I tried a few times, nothing would happen for the first few, then everything would light up, then stop again. It seems that the system needs a few moments before it can try and restart, but it will never restart.

What do you think could be wrong?

This is what I have:

CPU =Q9400
MOTHERBOARD = GA-EP45-UD3P
VIDEO CARD = ASUS DK TOP 4870
RAM = mushkin 4GB 996587
HARD DRIVE = WD Caviar Black 640GB
DVD = LG GH22NS30
PSU = Corsair TX Series CMPSU-650TX
CASE = COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP

Thanks!
Old March 3, 2009, 06:55 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Double check all electrical connections, including the 12V connector by the CPU.

Reset the CMOS.
Old March 3, 2009, 06:58 PM
MVP

What charlie said is a good start, if that doesn't work try pulling the CMON battery for about 10 minutes. You can also try unplugging everything from the board (dvd drives, HDD, fp connections). Try posting with one stick of ram as well.

If it's possible try and get the power supply tested.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it sounds to me like you don't have the the power cables connected properly to the Mother board, just go over everything everything 3 times then do once again to make sure I know that I have done that on allot things I have put together and everytime I always forget something Hence myself going over every conection three times then once more just to make sure lol
Old March 3, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Make sure you have installed all of the standoffs! And take out the ones that are not being used. If the motherboard is touching the case on the back it can cause a short... and even ruin the PSU..
Old March 4, 2009, 06:04 AM
Rookie

I believe I have all the standoffs in.. and I didn't put the ones that did not match the wholes in. So I do not belive it is touching the case.

Could there be a short in the cases on switch?
Old March 4, 2009, 06:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

this is a simple step by step remove all cables and start over starting with main power then cpu power then all hds then all dvd drives( i recommend only 1 of each until it boots anyway) then video power.
clear cmos and make sure cpu fans are connected and only 1 stick of ram for now( and yes make sure there is no possiable way the board to ground out )
now only plug in the power button
Old March 4, 2009, 11:11 AM
Rookie

How do I clear the CMOS?

What could ground my Motherboard?

I only installed the Standoffs that had whole, 9 in total I believe.

The Back metal part of the video card touching the metal of the case would not cause a problem would it? I assume not, since it has to rest there in order to fit in properly.
Old March 4, 2009, 11:14 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Take a look at the board's manual, you need to find the CMOS jumper and remove the onboard battery for a minute.
Old March 4, 2009, 01:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If Charlie's tip doesn't work, make sure that you used your PSU units dedicated 8 pin connector to your motherboard, that connector should be labeled as a EATX12V. The reason I know this is that I tried to use the PCI-E 6 pin, with the attached 2 pin connectors, which fit perfectly but wouldn't power up my system.