Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3, 2009, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Yep socket A, and it was comparable to a P3. Single core. It was a great budget chip back in the day. I would not spend too much money on that rig though Cactus...

Lol I remember I tried to put together a Duron-based rig back in 2001 while I was drunk...put heatsink on backwards and crushed the core (there are no heatspreaders on those suckers)
Lesson of the day: Do not build a PC while heavily intoxicated
Old March 3, 2009, 08:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Lol I remember I tried to put together a Duron-based rig back in 2001 while I was drunk...put heatsink on backwards and crushed the core (there are no heatspreaders on those suckers)
That's how my TBird died though I was removing the heatsink and totally sober
Old March 3, 2009, 08:48 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Funny thing was it also damaged the mobo. It was Soyo board, and when we turned it on we heard a strange noise but no beeps or video...turns out the bloody mobo was talking to us in Chinese instead of a beep code.

Brought it back to the store in NF (Avalon Software to those from back home)...they replaced the mobo because it was retail, but the Duron was OEM so a new one had to be bought. It was my roommates rig too, newly bought out of student loan money....we figured
it would be great to get some Red Alert 2 action on the go lol
Fold for team #54196
Old March 3, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Haha yep no heatspreaders; just a core and four round black pads on the corners!