Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Yep socket A, and it was comparable to a P3. Single core. It was a great budget chip back in the day. I would not spend too much money on that rig though Cactus...

Lol I remember I tried to put together a Duron-based rig back in 2001 while I was drunk...put heatsink on backwards and crushed the core (there are no heatspreaders on those suckers)
Lesson of the day: Do not build a PC while heavily intoxicated
Old March 3, 2009, 07:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Lol I remember I tried to put together a Duron-based rig back in 2001 while I was drunk...put heatsink on backwards and crushed the core (there are no heatspreaders on those suckers)
That's how my TBird died though I was removing the heatsink and totally sober
Old March 3, 2009, 07:48 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Funny thing was it also damaged the mobo. It was Soyo board, and when we turned it on we heard a strange noise but no beeps or video...turns out the bloody mobo was talking to us in Chinese instead of a beep code.

Brought it back to the store in NF (Avalon Software to those from back home)...they replaced the mobo because it was retail, but the Duron was OEM so a new one had to be bought. It was my roommates rig too, newly bought out of student loan money....we figured
it would be great to get some Red Alert 2 action on the go lol
Fold for team #54196
Old March 3, 2009, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha yep no heatspreaders; just a core and four round black pads on the corners!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.