Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2009, 03:27 PM
Top Prospect

Default Unable to boot from Windows disk, no input from PS2/USB keyboard

I am trying to format an old ECS board. Funny thing is I can get into the BIOS (Delete key) but when the system prompts me to Press any key to boot from CD, I cannot get any input to work. I have tried USB and PS2 keyboards, the case speaker makes noise when I hold keys down, but it won't boot from the CD. Needless to say I have set the CD to the top in the boot order and have reset BIOS back to default. I am not sure whey its not accepting input when I try to boot from the CD.
Old February 28, 2009, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am thinking guessing that you have a usb keyboard .do you have it set up in bios so you can use your Kb? because that is what it sounds like if that doesn't work you might have to reset you cmos ( pull the battery on your mother board) then restart.
Old February 28, 2009, 06:01 PM
Top Prospect

I have tried both USB and PS2 keyboards no difference. Both work, get onto BIOS and work in windows (the install thats on it is crap and needs to be reformatted) but REFUSE to boot from the CD. The keys are working because when I hold them down I can hear the case speaker beep. I think that the board may be fried anyways because I am getting graphics lockup issues (artifacting and squares ect) may be time to just stick a fork in it.
Old February 28, 2009, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You still have to enable usb keyboard in BIOS. I reloaded XP yesterday and that"s what I had to do.
Old March 1, 2009, 01:50 AM
Top Prospect

its was already enabled, I don't think USB has anything to do with it because PS2 dosn't work either.
Old March 1, 2009, 05:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

is the HDD lite on when trying to read disc
also is the cdom term'ed correct master or slave setting on same I/O port
Old March 1, 2009, 12:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

so there is an os on the had already? which OS are you trying to install? did you try to reset your your cmos then rein able your keyboard , usb . I had an old Net vista and every time If I wanted to install a new OS I had to unplug the computer and reset the stupid Cmos , start the computer and turn on USB so my USB keyboard would work sometimes after I saved my setting in the Bios I had to restart two or three times before the keyboard would actually work or I would ( when asked to press any key to launch cd) have to hold down the key on the keyboard until it would boot from the CD