Default BSoD on new x58 system

Hi,

I've been running the following components:

core i7 920
evga x58
xfx nvidia 9800GTX+
corsair 3gb xms3
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750W PSU

On windows XP sp3. I also have vista 32-bit installed on a separate partition, but I rarely use it.

I've been having the following problems

1) Failure to boot out of hibernation. The hibernation bar loads to 100% and then everything freezes. My keyboard (USB) is not lit, but my mouse is, indicating that power isn't consistent or something.
EDIT: Today, I got a BSoD after trying to boot out of hibernation. HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED.

I can find very little information on it and the policy on my parts is running out (well, the return policy, not the warranty). Can anyone help?

2) Erratic shut down restarts. Rarely happens but my computer is definetely not running hot (No OCing, and NZXT tempest 6 fans blowing cool air out of the top.)
3) After erratic restart, my keyboard is often powerless and I have to shut the computer off (since I cannot even select an OS at the OS selection menu) and turn it back on manually.

Can anyone point out any solutions? Is my motherboard messed? Gah! Please help asap, I'd like to sort all of this out.
Old February 26, 2009, 02:49 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Have you tried installing only one memory module at a time?
Old February 26, 2009, 03:04 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Was that a fresh install of xp?

HAL is the hardware abstraction layer. Sounds like the board is a having trouble initializing a piece of hardware (keyboard, mouse, sound, controller etc...)

What are your complete system specs?
Old February 26, 2009, 05:02 PM
Rookie

Yup, fresh install of xp, though it's illegal. I have a legit version, but my friend found one with all the extra stuff shaved off...so it boots lightning fast. I believe it's called the XP Pro Performance with sp3. Most of my issues occur during boot up from hibernation but hitting the reset button (Restarts) doesn't do anything. I usually have to completely power off and then on to fix problem.

XFX9800GTX+
EVGA x58
Intel core i7 920
Corsair XMS3, 3gb
Western digital 300gb HD
Logi g5 mouse
microsoft reclusa keyboard (IT sucks, dont buy it)
pc power and cooling silencer 750W
sony writer.
nzxt tempest case.

Yes, it seems to have trouble getting the keyboard going, at the very least. If its my keyboard which wont always light up upon startup even though my mouse does...
Old February 26, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you updated to the latest bios?....the early bios versions apparently have issues with coming out of and/or booting from hibernation in particular, the newer updates are supposed to have solved the problem. Might be worth a try.

Old February 27, 2009, 05:21 PM
Rookie

Yup. I flashed with the latest bios long before these issues started occuring (I'm not sure if it's BECAUSE of the newer bios..hmm)
Old February 27, 2009, 09:22 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I'm willing to bet it's the shaved down version of XP that is giving you grief. Power management stuff is the first thing they trim off those builds.

Try an oem or a retail release of xp.
Old February 28, 2009, 08:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

+1

try a full version.

Old February 28, 2009, 11:51 AM
Rookie

Roger that, fellow canucks! Tomshardware told me to do memtest but i got 100% on that...then no replies!

You guys are awesome, will be reinstalling xp from my CD. Btw, can I do an sp1 isntall OVER an sp3 install wtihout reformatting the partition?
Old February 28, 2009, 04:24 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Your best bet at solving this is a clean install.