Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   That's a first... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/1515-thats-first.html)

3.0charlie June 3, 2007 02:17 PM

That's a first...

Just completed my customer's build, with an E6300, evga 680i mobo, OCZ 600W Gamextreem, blah, blah, blah.

No OC yet, temps are fine (24C) with Swiftech's Ultra+ WC system.

Started Orthos just for the fun of it and.... the darn thing crashed in 2 seconds! Voltages are default except for Mem (OCZ Gold) @ 2.1V.

How could it be unstable, when all the settings are stock?

John

sswilson June 3, 2007 02:28 PM

Heh.... It's actually a lot more common than you'd think.

Do some googling to find OCZ's recommended timings for those chips. I'd almost guarantee that your board isn't setting them up properly.

Babrbarossa June 3, 2007 03:31 PM

I second that- probably a memory timing problem.

3.0charlie June 3, 2007 03:35 PM

5-5-5-15 2T, default RAM and mobo concurs. Good call, but all is fine there. Should I bump the Vcore volts a notch? I'm going to OC the chip later tonight.

Is it really that common? Instable while at default?

sswilson June 3, 2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 11069)
5-5-5-15 2T, default RAM and mobo concurs. Good call, but all is fine there. Should I bump the Vcore volts a notch? I'm going to OC the chip later tonight.

Is it really that common? Instable while at default?

I'd check for enhanced settings other than the "big 4".

Have a look here and see if they've got specific timings for your motherboard/mem combo.

Intel Database - OCZ Forum

If not, I'd do a memtest from a boot cd and see what you come up with. It's always possible that you've got a bad mem chip. Now isn't the time to start bumping volts, unless your motherboard is undervolting the recommended ram voltage.

It's certainly not time to start OCing.... you need a fully stable rig @ stock speeds or you're just setting yourself up for grief during the OC process.

Babrbarossa June 3, 2007 04:04 PM

I'd eevn recommend trying 1.8 volts- the Crucial I just reviewed wouldn't boot at DDR2 800 at anything over 2.1V

3.0charlie June 3, 2007 05:39 PM

I'll run memtest86 and see what's the problem. As for the voltage, OCZ recommends 2.1V.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

pscout June 3, 2007 06:45 PM

Hopefully you have some spare stuff to swap in ... with all new parts my suspects would be ram or mobo. But having no experience with 680i chip mobos, I suppose mem settings could get you but sounds a bit unlikely if the thing posts and boots ok . but maybe that is just my intel chipset experience speaking.

I too have been suprised with some ocz memory that didn't like volts ... some early 800 platinum sticks that wouldn't post over 2.1.

3.0charlie June 3, 2007 07:17 PM

Still running Memtest86 - in Test #7, 1 error found. That's it.

It that enough to RMA?

Memtest complete. Only 1 error found. What do you guys think?

Babrbarossa June 3, 2007 07:29 PM

what timings and voltages are you running?