Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2009, 03:19 PM
Trial Member

Default leaking capacitors - repair in GTA?

So I just lost an A7N8X-deluxe board to what looks like a whole host of capacitors either bulging or actually oozing/leaking electrolyte. In retrospect, I should have suspected the hardware a lot earlier when it became unstable. Reading badcaps.net was certainly eye-opening!

Anyway, I was wondering if there was anyone in the GTA who fixes this problem on a regular basis and for a reasonable price? Is it even worth it? Failing that, can anyone suggest an available, inexpensive motherboard I could replace this one with and recycle the rest of my parts (antec sonata case with whatever vintage PSU it came with, amd 2500+, couple sticks of ram).
Old February 22, 2009, 04:07 PM
Allstar

I have the same mobo ... I better check mine
Old February 22, 2009, 04:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I can't speak for anybody who might actually be interested in trying to repair it, but I suspect (especially since it's a lot more than just one cap) that the folks who replace caps are doing it as a "labour of love", or just for the fun of it. Unless you've got some scrap boards kicking around that just happen to have the same caps on them, the cost of the new replacement caps would probably add up to more than the value of the board, let alone including labour.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 22, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, if you're gonna repair it, it'll probably cost you more to repair than buy a new one. Try and see if you can find a similar board like yours. That would be what I would do.
Old February 23, 2009, 04:58 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I can't speak for anybody who might actually be interested in trying to repair it, but I suspect (especially since it's a lot more than just one cap) that the folks who replace caps are doing it as a "labour of love", or just for the fun of it. Unless you've got some scrap boards kicking around that just happen to have the same caps on them, the cost of the new replacement caps would probably add up to more than the value of the board, let alone including labour.

Well thats just it.
These new boards are made up for ease of manufacturing and certainly not future service.
What didn't help either was a lot of boards from various manufacturers had bad batches of caps unknowingly(+-)installed and released for consumer purchase
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Old February 23, 2009, 05:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Replacing the board would be the best route really. De-doing the Caps is a pain, and a lot of labour if your not familiar with the process.
Sadly, a lot of manufacturers don't find out until they start getting lots of calls about returns or the like that there are bad Caps on the board.
The Dell Optiplex 260/270 series of computers had a massive batch of boards that had defective caps released. Even to this day, Dell service has those boards stashed away for replacing anyone else who happens to call in for one. At my work, I have done 5 of those computers (2 failed in one day) with the defective caps.
It is in the end, much simplier and sometimes cheaper to just scrap the board and get a new one.

Good Luck,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com