Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2009, 02:26 PM
Top Prospect

Default no display from P5KC w DDR3 1333

ok I just got new ADATA 2x2gb kit of DDR3-1333 for my Asus P5KC motherboard. I had 4 Crucial Ballistix 1gb DDR2-800s in there but one of them developed errors. I just put the DDR3 in, and now I get no Display. From what I can see it appears that the machine is not completeing the POST, it just turns on and turns off after a few seconds, fans spin, optical drive light flashes, then it shuts off, sometimes it will stay on though so I am not sure. I am sure I have the DIMMs seated properly (bad things happen if the DIMMs arn't down all the way) and I never did anything with the video card (which is a newer Visiontek 4870 512mb). Anyhow I was wondering if there are any BIOS issues with DDR3 ram. I remember hearing somthing like that but anyways I am going to put one of my good Crucial sticks back into it and see if it lights off that way. Checked the VGA connections and all that good stuff already as well. I am going through a KVM but I doubt that its the KVM thats gone out. I will by pass it later on if I can't get anything else to work.
Old February 12, 2009, 04:09 PM
Top Prospect

seems there is a BIOS update BUT I can't seem to get it to work. Any tips on how to put that AFUDOS program onto a flash drive and make it bootable. I just get "Pendrive with no OS found please remove PEN Drive" it may be a windows 7 thing I dunno.
Old February 12, 2009, 06:35 PM
Top Prospect

well I got the BIOS to flash through the EZ Flash II in the BIOS Setup page BUT, still no display. I think that this RAM must not be supported by the board which is BS. I do have another PC with DDR3 that I can test it on but it has the exact same chipset and is pretty close (its an ASROCK1600) but well see. Dunno weahter ASUS is even worth a try, last time I emailed them I never even got a reply back.

Edit: I just got it to boot but now I am either looking at a bad DIMM (hopefully) or a bad DIMM slot (which will mean RMAing the board to Asus which I don't even want to think about)

Edit 2: After swapping DIMM slots I think its now safe to say that I have a bad DIMM, it won't boot up off of one stick no matter what slot its in. Anyone ever go through RMA with ADATA??

Last edited by the_bandit87; February 12, 2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old February 13, 2009, 02:20 PM
Top Prospect

If you bought the RAM recently, you may just be able to return it to the store instead of going through the manufacturer. I had a bad stick of corsair RAM that I got from NCIX and they shipped me a new set quite quickly.