Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2009, 06:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Flickering screen (of death)

Everyone was a great help with that 280GTX issue (new PS did the trick) so hopefully someone can help with this one:

Installed 3 x 512MB PC-4200 RAM sticks into mother-in-laws pc (she had 1x 512MB previous) as vista was running super slow.

Computer picked up the RAM no problem but when I closed some windows the screen started flickering (desktop icons were shaking from left to right) and then the PC froze up completely, requiring a reboot.

This happened a couple of times but I didn't have time to try it again w/o the new RAM.

Could this new RAM be the issue?

I should note that on startup I got a message saying it had detected new hardware (Nvidia 6100GS) and I had to install the drivers to get that "new hardware" to work.
(I did install the drivers and everything seemed fine)

Last edited by GregH; February 10, 2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old February 10, 2009, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

If the new drivers helped , leave it at that , and monitor it for a while.

The change in the ram could have affected the video cards ram address space......this is usually fixed on reboot but it's possible it needed a driver reinstall....

Old February 10, 2009, 08:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sorry, should clarify:

I went to the Nvidia site & download & installed the latest drivers earlier, but later on when I switched the computer on after installing the RAM it prompted me to install the video drivers again (new hardware detected message popped up)
If I ignored the prompt it booted me back to 640x480 low quality resolution
Old February 11, 2009, 05:35 AM
Allstar

Is the 6100 Nvidia's onboard video and if so, I would suggest use the original native drivers for that board or upgrade that videocard asap - it's a horrible card to deal with and has many issues.

CHEERS
Old February 11, 2009, 07:24 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yes, the 6100 is onboard.

Funny thing is there were no issues prior to installing the RAM.

I think I have a spare 7300GT kicking around somewhere so I'll chuck that in & see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the advice
Old February 11, 2009, 08:47 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Yes, the 6100 is onboard.

Funny thing is there were no issues prior to installing the RAM.

I think I have a spare 7300GT kicking around somewhere so I'll chuck that in & see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the advice
You will find a noticeable improvement when NOT using the on-board GPU vs an add-on graphic card. Let alone that the 7300 is a much better card anyway. This should definitely solve the problem. Let us know.

CHEERS
Old February 11, 2009, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is that system stable with the new RAM? You are going from 1 stick to 4, so I'd recommend running Memtest86+ on it.

So you don't have an problems with the GPU drivers, uninstall all of them before opening up the computer again. Then you can try to get the nVidia drivers (while trying to ignore Vista's continuous attempts to force you to install drivers from Windows Update).
Old February 13, 2009, 03:37 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Update:

Computer was still getting that flickering screen and locking up so I removed all the new RAM and it ran fine.
Added one stick at a time and it seemed fine each time until I installed the 4th stick which nearly instantly caused it to flicker & lock up.

Tried different sticks in each slot but the only time it locked up was when I had all four sticks installed.
Left it with 3 x 512MB sticks and it seemed fine, but when she went to play solitaire it kept freezing up on her again (no flickering screen but everything just froze.)

I just downloaded memtest so I'll take that over & try it.
I didn't replace the video card as it had seemed stable when I left, but I think I'll install it anyway just to eliminate one of the possible problems.
Old February 13, 2009, 10:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Another update:

Put all 4 sticks in & ran memtest - everything passed ok.
Booted Vista & uninstalled the 6100 then shut down & installed that 7300GT I had laying around.

Rebooted & everything seems solid so far.

Wondering if it was some conflict with the onboard vid card & the RAM.